The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My mom is looking to get a new daily driver. She has driven Mercedes for the last 30 years and she finds that they are reliable. She drives hard and goes anywhere from 50 to 200 miles per day.

Here are some further details:

She specifically told me she likes Porsche's with wings.
She can not drive with a clutch pedal.
Needs to be reliable (No outrageous maintenance issues)
Tires must get halfway decent tread life.
Price range ~100k.
Don't mind if it is used as long as it is a newer model.

Cars she likes:

Mercedes SL
Porsche with rear wing
Maserati Granturismo
Aston Martin DB9

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Hey guys,

My mom is looking to get a new daily driver. She has driven Mercedes for the last 30 years and she finds that they are reliable. She drives hard and goes anywhere from 50 to 200 miles per day.

Here are some further details:

She specifically told me she likes Porsche's with wings.
She can not drive with a clutch pedal.
Needs to be reliable (No outrageous maintenance issues)
Tires must get halfway decent tread life.
Price range ~100k.
Don't mind if it is used as long as it is a newer model.

Cars she likes:

Mercedes SL
Porsche with rear wing
Maserati Granturismo
Aston Martin DB9
This may be one of the strangest things I've seen on this forum in the last three years.

Tell your Mom to get a new Mitsu EVO. Has the carry-handle wing popular with the F & F crowd, I believe it's got the automatic, probably fairly reliable, and goes like stink.

You live in LA, so the cars you list are a dime a dozen and for the money won't get her any more attention.

If $100K is her budget, she'll have enough money left over to buy you an Exige 240 S.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be one of the strangest things I've seen on this forum in the last three years.

Tell your Mom to get a new Mitsu EVO. Has the carry-handle wing popular with the F & F crowd, I believe it's got the automatic, probably fairly reliable, and goes like stink.

You live in LA, so the cars you list are a dime a dozen and for the money won't get her any more attention.

If $100K is her budget, she'll have enough money left over to buy you an Exige 240 S.
:confused:

I don't think she is looking for an EVO. -poke-

I agree that 100k cars are a dime a dozen in LA, but so are asinine drivers who are going insane due to gas prices/job loss. For instance, two weeks ago a driver in an SUV backed up into my 2008 Audi TT at about 15 mph. I was parked at a gas station and the driver was pulling out of a gas stall. Thankfully no one was injured but the fact that my car is now damaged is upsetting enough for me to not want to drive a rare/expensive car on the street here in LA. If a 100k car gets crashed into, it isn't going to be as difficult to fix as a more expensive rarer car. Also, like I mentioned, she drives a lot so she will need a car that can handle the miles both mechanically and economically.

So, regardless of what social image you assume my mom is attempting to mold to, this is what she wants and a serious reply would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I wish i had your mother's problems...

Most of the high end luxury cars have a lot of electronics problems due to all the latest and greatest gizmo's installed. So, i wouldn't consider most $100,000+ luxury cars to be "reliable"

·
Registered
140 Posts
What was her last car? 50-200 miles a day? the miles are going to really pile on whatever she gets. I'd say stick with a merc since she already knows she likes them. Though, the the newer mercs I've seen don't seem to be as solid as the older ones (pre-chrysler).

The new 911's have a slick PDK transmission so that might be a good fit too. Don't see too many whale tales on the 997's so her's would stand out :cool:

I think any sport or luxury sport car in that range is going to come stock with summer or similar tires that tend to wear fast, but I'm sure you could switch to all seasons at some point.

One other thing to consider is say she is coming from mercedes sedans and going to a 911, there is quite a big difference in overall driving dynamics.

Happy Motoring,
Larez2

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was her last car? 50-200 miles a day? the miles are going to really pile on whatever she gets. I'd say stick with a merc since she already knows she likes them. Though, the the newer mercs I've seen don't seem to be as solid as the older ones (pre-chrysler).

The new 911's have a slick PDK transmission so that might be a good fit too. Don't see too many whale tales on the 997's so her's would stand out :cool:

I think any sport or luxury sport car in that range is going to come stock with summer or similar tires that tend to wear fast, but I'm sure you could switch to all seasons at some point.

One other thing to consider is say she is coming from mercedes sedans and going to a 911, there is quite a big difference in overall driving dynamics.

Happy Motoring,
Larez2
She drives a CL500 right now.

What is the ideal 997 for her? Can she just get a carrera and put a wing on it and be problem free or are there specific options that she would benefit from?

·
Banned
874 Posts
how about a tesla?;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
CL500 is a really nice and smooth car...

If she goes the Porsche route a C2 Carrera would probably be fine...
All 911 Models - Models - Home - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
2 wheel drive and plenty of power and great for SoCal.

I've personally always been a fan of the Targa since the 996's because the rear glass lifts like a hatchback making the car much more useful as a daily, and overall it's just a very unique car IMO.

The PDK is new on the 2009's which don't come out until Sept... if she needs to purchase sooner, 08' or earlier have the tiptronic S automatic trannys.

The C2 Carrera already has a built in spoiler the activates and comes out at 70mph (i think), but if she wants to put a whale tail, turbo or GT type spoiler on the back, I imagine tequipment (Porsche's in house parts) should have something, and I'd recommend sticking with that (more expensive, but arguable better fit and finish)

HTH,
Larez2

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My vote is for the Maserati - you don't see quite as many of them and the engine note and interiors are :drool::drool::drool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wish i had your mother's problems...

Most of the high end luxury cars have a lot of electronics problems due to all the latest and greatest gizmo's installed. So, i wouldn't consider most $100,000+ luxury cars to be "reliable"
I agree. The SL is notoriously known to be in the shop more often than the road. The Maserati has the worst residual of any other exotic brands out there... If she's your mom I'd stick her in a Prius.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
have her get an eagle :clap: its a luxury box(for a lotus anyways) :cool: if she can wait a few months :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have her get an eagle :clap: its a luxury box(for a lotus anyways) :cool: if she can wait a few months :p
Haha, yeah right, she wants a car that is a tank on rockets. She is afraid of how small Lotus cars are and plus, she would never be able to enter/exit the car unassisted.

She is not looking to get the car immediately. She said that she is looking to buy around November/December.

Anyone know how Aston Martin holds up to Porsche in regards to reliability and functionality?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
She drives a CL500 right now.

What is the ideal 997 for her? Can she just get a carrera and put a wing on it and be problem free or are there specific options that she would benefit from?
Porsche has an "aero kit" option for the 997. It is something like $9k. The wing looks identical to this aftermarket version (which was the best link I could find):

Porsche 997 Aerokit

The option list for a 997 is longer than some books I have read. For a 50+ year old, I would recommend the "adaptive sport seats". They are very adjustable and comfortable. All other options range from "nice to have" to "huh?".

I have owned my 997 for 1.5 years and I have yet to bring it in for one problem. I think the reliability on these is as good as you are going to get for a $90k+ car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Haha, yeah right, she wants a car that is a tank on rockets. She is afraid of how small Lotus cars are and plus, she would never be able to enter/exit the car unassisted.

She is not looking to get the car immediately. She said that she is looking to buy around November/December.

Anyone know how Aston Martin holds up to Porsche in regards to reliability and functionality?
It's Britsh.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Porsche has an "aero kit" option for the 997. It is something like $9k. The wing looks identical to this aftermarket version (which was the best link I could find):

Porsche 997 Aerokit

The option list for a 997 is longer than some books I have read. For a 50+ year old, I would recommend the "adaptive sport seats". They are very adjustable and comfortable. All other options range from "nice to have" to "huh?".

I have owned my 997 for 1.5 years and I have yet to bring it in for one problem. I think the reliability on these is as good as you are going to get for a $90k+ car.
The problem with the aero kit is reduced ground clearance. The kit is not just a wing. Driveways are tricky if you don't want to damage the ground effects. A used 911 turbo would be a car she may want to consider. They have tiptronic automatics in some and they have the wing she is looking for. A new 911 TT may be more than she wants to spend. The Porsche is way different than what she is presently driving. I have a Mercedes and a Porsche. Two very different cars. The Merc SL is a covertible. The 911 Turbo has a cabrio or a coupe available depending on what she wants. Good Luck!

BTW Have her get what you would like to borrow! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts