The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a solution for my '05 Elise that will allow me to play my iPod Touch. From searching the forum, I understand the standard Blaupunkt iPod cable doesn't work with the Touch. :( If my research is correct, I believe I could use a series of cables to get a standard aux input. That seems OK, but...

Is there a better solution than that?

I'm not a huge stereo guy. The stock Acapulco unit is "good enough" for me, but I'm certainly willing to upgrade. I just want a simple to install, simple to use stereo that allows me to use my iPod. Charging the iPod would be nice, but not mandatory. If I can view and skip songs via the stereo and not the iPod, that would be a bonus. I would REALLY prefer not to have to drill any holes for routing cables or whatnot in the car. (maybe that means a front input? I'd be OK with that) I don't need or really even want any crazy bluetooth or video or navigation stuff.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just buy a second cheaper Ipod and leave it in the car. I have Ipods that I leave in all of my cars plus it's cheaper than buying a new head unit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did consider the second iPod option.

I LOVE my iPod touch, though. I live with that thing. So having to sync a second iPod would be a little bit of a hassle. Nothing I couldn't manage, but still - it wouldn't be my Touch.

And if I went and got a new Nano (~$200) and cabling (~$25) I'm not sure I'm saving all that much and I still have a pretty standard solution.

I'm not saying that cost isn't an object, but it's not the primary driver, either. If I could get a good solution I'd be willing to pay the bucks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ITouch & Alpine 9856

I had a similar issue as yours.

First, I upgraded the HU to an Alpine CDA-9856 as the first step. It was a great improvement!

Here is the link to my install on this project: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/wiring-harness-alpine-install-pics-33752/

Then I went for the add-in for the ITouch. An easy project. The Alpine HU allows you to control all the ITouch functions from the HU itself. No need to mess with the ITouch itself.

Here is a link to the ITouch install: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/itouch-install-w-alpine-9856-a-56076/

Definitely makes the car more enjoyable to ride in. :shift:

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just installed an Alpine iDA-100. There are a couple of models, some more or less expensive. Reception is very improved, and the sound quality in general is much, much better. I'm not very experienced with these sorts of things, but I was able to install myself without much difficulty. I bought this through Crutchfield. They supplied an adapter, and I was advised to join the yellow to the red wires, instead of yellow to yellow--you'll know what I mean when you see the the unit with the adapter.

The Alpine iDA line does away with CDs and is designed to work directly with an ipod. It does that well. The only trick was getting the supplied ipod connector cable to a niche where it could be accessed. Mine is accessed at the little cubby below the power button. I had to drill a hole in the plastic piece the power button is attached to, and then file it to accommodate the ipod connector. But, truly, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just installed an Alpine iDA-100. There are a couple of models, some more or less expensive. Reception is very improved, and the sound quality in general is much, much better. I'm not very experienced with these sorts of things, but I was able to install myself without much difficulty. I bought this through Crutchfield. They supplied an adapter, and I was advised to join the yellow to the red wires, instead of yellow to yellow--you'll know what I mean when you see the the unit with the adapter.

The Alpine iDA line does away with CDs and is designed to work directly with an ipod. It does that well. The only trick was getting the supplied ipod connector cable to a niche where it could be accessed. Mine is accessed at the little cubby below the power button. I had to drill a hole in the plastic piece the power button is attached to, and then file it to accommodate the ipod connector. But, truly, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
I have the same model head unit with the new ipod nano (chrome orange of course). Works very well. That along with some polk audio speakers and sound is 100x better. No room for CDs anyway...

·
Registered
430 Posts
If all you care about is your ipod then I say just get the Alpine ipod stereo.

Alpine iDA-X305 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

If you want to charge, buy the scosche adapter.

Amazon.com: Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics
I just put the iDA-X100 in my Jeep (the 100 and the 305 are virtually identical). It's pretty great. The bluetooth phone bit works really well and the old remote from my Esprit's CDA-9856 works with it.

I got mine from this guy:
100% BRAND NEW ALPINE IDA-X100 ALPINE KCE-350BT BUNDLE - eBay (item 170309014965 end time Mar-13-09 17:28:49 PDT)

If you're in L.A. he'll sell you the set up for $330 otd as long as you pick it up. Nice guy. Stuff was brand new.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Seems like the Alpine is definitely worth considering.

Murix - why did you say "if all you care about is your iPod?" I know the Alpine doesn't have a CD player (not a big deal) but are there other drawbacks as well?

Wayne - thanks for the links. I LIKE that I don't have to cut any of the stock wiring.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No other drawbacks. I was referencing the lack of a CD player. That could be a deal breaker for some people. I think carrying CD's in the Elise is a pain.

The only thing I listen to anymore are the Ipod in my Elise and Sat Radio in my other car. CD's are dead to me. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have that Alpine unit in my car right now.

the unit will also play MP3s right out of a USB memory stick. when ever i get a new CD i just load the tracks on to a USB stick and listen to it a few times, before i decide which tracks i'm upload on to my ipod. (so, its really not that big of a drawback)

·
Registered
232 Posts
To those folks that have upgraded to the Alpine X305, were you able to use the same oem alpine harness that came with the Lotus?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm waiting for Pioneers new series of headunits with built-in - ipod, bluetooth, etc. The new ones have better screens than the older model.

I figure if I'm gonna do it, I'll do it right.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to UPS, mine arrives tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feedback.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N5 with Ipod connection and Bluetooth
Control your Itouch, play music, watch movies, and charge as well. I love mine!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^^ hi, mc21

how do you deal with the Screen hitting the windshield wiper blade handle?

do you just leave the screen up all the time?
do the road vibrations affect the screen?

i'm planning on upgrading to the JVC with the sat-nav system cause its a single din unit.
but, i am curious as to how well the flip up screen Pioneer decks hold up in the rough riding Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The screen is only up when I'm driving. There is a trick where your screen will never hit the wiper control while fliping in/out. You will learn it when you have it installed; pretty easy, just need to get used to.

The screen does not vibrate as Pioneer design it so the screen will back against the vent. I have some felt at the back of the screen just incase; no movement, no noise. Let me say it again....I LOVE MY AVIC!!!!!! :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts