The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rarely drive my car at night but noticed that the lights look really dull and yellow. What new bulbs are out there that you guys have all changed out to?

Not interested in switching to HIDs or anything just a nice bright white replacement bulb for our cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey Marc,
I recently switched to Sylvania's "XTRAVISION" headlights and they are very good (black and green box). Big difference over stock.

Nice bright light that is whiter than the normal yellowish lamps, but not annoyingly blue.

Low beam is H5006 (2C1 original)
High Beam is H5001 (1C1 original)

Got them at Pep Boys. These part numbers also apply to the "standard" lamps that are little more yellow, so make sure you get the ones marked "XTRAVISION" for the upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Kent

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
They should be white. You may just have some dirty/corroded connections that are reducing the voltage. Try cleaning them up, low voltage is going to mess up anything you switch too so you might as well try fixing what you already have first. You could verify low voltage with a voltmeter while the lights and motor are on. Should have at least 12 volts and no more than about 13.5
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. Light are working fine but in comparison to modern cars the design is dated, same since the start I believe. Just hoping to pop in some new bulbs and get a bit brighter and maybe wider reach.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I have added super white bulbs (off eBay for $7/bulb) for one of my other cars that did not come with HIDs. It did completely modernize the look over the stock yellow bulbs even though the light output was about the same. I did the high/low and fogs. And they have been lasting just fine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Marc,
I recently switched to Sylvania's "XTRAVISION" headlights and they are very good (black and green box). Big difference over stock.

Nice bright light that is whiter than the normal yellowish lamps, but not annoyingly blue.

Low beam is H5006 (2C1 original)
High Beam is H5001 (1C1 original)

Got them at Pep Boys. These part numbers also apply to the "standard" lamps that are little more yellow, so make sure you get the ones marked "XTRAVISION" for the upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Kent
Kent- what year is your Esprit? I'm wondering if those numbers are good for an 83?

·
Registered
860 Posts
all this headlight talk has me thinking about custom building some bi-xenon projectors.. ...

once you have xenon projectors, it's hard to go back to halogen reflectors.

Is there a way to raise the Esprit's headlamps without turning the lamps on?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is there a way to raise the Esprit's headlamps without turning the lamps on?
The best way that I found to do this (and change the bulbs) was to turn on the headlights, and then disconnect the battery. Easy for me to do since I have a quick disconnect switch.

Then the pods are up and the lights are off.

While you are in there, best to make sure that the drain holes at the bottom of the headlight cavities are open and clear. One of mine was completely blocked and there was about a gallon of water stored up in there!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Espree- thanks for the reminder about checking the drain holes
No problem - it is worth doing while you're in there. I used a flexible retrieval device to grab the leaves and go through the hole, but a coat hanger or similar would work too (though might scratch a little). Here is the lighted claw (great for getting dropped screws and things too): Amazon.com: General Tools 70399 UltraTech Lighted Mechanical Pick-up, 36-Inch: Home Improvement

I had always wondered why there was always water spraying out of my headlights for days after I would wash it... Then I found the source!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The best way that I found to do this (and change the bulbs) was to turn on the headlights, and then disconnect the battery.
It's a lot easier to turn on the headlights, disconnect the plugs to the headlight motors, then turn off the headlights. That way you don't reset the ECU and radio.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You also might want to look into upgrading the lenses. The M100 Elan came with some pretty horrible sealed beams. I ordered Cibie Highs and Hella Lows with Narva Rangepower+50 bulbs from Daniel Stern and the output has GREATLY improved.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

1 - 16 of 16 Posts