The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lotus Elise Type72D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I participated in the local British Car Fayre here in Atlanta a couple of months ago with my Elise type 72D. I was next to two fantastic Sevens which gave me a great opportunity to see an original 1962 up close. That night, his Seven was stolen from the parking lot of a local hotel, even in an enclosed trailer. So I am wondering what recommendations or how-to instructions owners have with adding a GPS Tracker to their cars. I see lots of references in various posts to "I guess I will add a tracker to my car", but no brand recommendations, placement suggestions, etc. I am finding lots available when I do a google search, but many have high monthly fees ($30 per month for example), some require an OBD port while others do not, some have geo-fencing but some do not, and have limits on real time tracking info (keep restarting the app to show the trail of bread crumbs). Anyone have experience with these devices, as a cost effective way to track a vehicle and allow faster recovery for a stolen vehicle?

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I have had a GPS "Smart Tracker" from Rocky Mountain Tracking installed in my Lotus for 6 years (https://rmtracking.com/vehicle_recovery/smart-racker/).

What initially drew me to them was that there is no monthly fee. So, you pay for the device and then can wait to activate it and buy "locates" if needed. (However, if they are not open at the time you need the activation, you have to wait until next business day.)

You can also go with the yearly activation up front ($49) which includes 100 free locates. The plus side to the yearly activation is that you can immediately use your locates if your car is stolen. (I actually have the 3 year activation.) The locate is basically in real time taking only seconds to send and receive back the signal. It can be tracked off a computer or cell phone.

The Smart Tracker can be wired with just 2 wires for a simple installation or by using multiple wires for additional features. (They also offer an OBD-II quick connect harness.) You can wire in a relay for the starter interrupt feature if you want to. They provide a geo-fence feature, however you do use 1 locate every time you set it up (I typically set it up for off season/long term storage).

As far as placement, (I won't be mentioning where mine is mounted :wink2: ) in our plastic cars, you can put it pretty much anywhere you like and it will get a signal. The only real requirement is that you mount it with the one side facing the sky (it is marked). On a metal bodied car, you may have to place it near a front/rear window where metal won't block the signal.

The most important thing I have found with Rocky Mountain is their excellent customer service. I had a few issues over the years and they went out of their way to immediately rectified them. So, I was very pleased with their service.

On a side note, I do use a different AA battery powered tracker if I take my car for any type of service. That tracker cannot be polled to locate, but I can hide it anywhere in the car and later review it to determine how they drove my car. But that's another story.....

·
Lotus Elise Type72D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great suggestion

I will check out RMT, sounds like a reasonable solution compared to others. What is the battery powered device you use when going in for service...what brand?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
get an android phone

get a freedompop sim

dance the dance with them[if you remember the RCA record club it is like this]

install tracking app on the phone[you can track its current location via google anyway, but history is useful]

leave it plugged in in the car hidden

free tracker

I have a thread coming up on this subject for a different reason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I participated in the local British Car Fayre here in Atlanta a couple of months ago with my Elise type 72D. I was next to two fantastic Sevens which gave me a great opportunity to see an original 1962 up close. That night, his Seven was stolen from the parking lot of a local hotel, even in an enclosed trailer. So I am wondering what recommendations or how-to instructions owners have with adding a GPS Tracker to their cars. I see lots of references in various posts to "I guess I will add a tracker to my car", but no brand recommendations, placement suggestions, etc. I am finding lots available when I do a google search, but many have high monthly fees ($30 per month for example), some require an OBD port while others do not, some have geo-fencing but some do not, and have limits on real time tracking info (keep restarting the app to show the trail of bread crumbs). Anyone have experience with these devices, a cost-effective vehicle tracker and allow faster recovery for a stolen vehicle?
Currently, I use spytec to track my motorcycle. This hidden GPS can be used not only as a vehicle tracker, but also as a personal tracker with SOS function. Apart from that, I have also used the Spot tracker, which is battery powered. Now it has some improvements, they are now powered by a DC plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts