The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started looking on "Bring a Trailer", then found lost on Carfax.com, then I found the classifieds on this forum. General opinions on where best to find a nice (non-track) Elise?

Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
I found my Elise on AutoTempest (a car search aggregator), but BaT and here on Lotus Talk are great places to find good cars. There seem to be a ton for sale now, and prices seems to have pulled back slightly over the last few months.

Good luck on your search. 馃槈馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm puzzled by what I have followed. On BaT A 2005 with 22K went for $48k (+commission fee). I can get a 2005 with 5K from a dealer for $55k (minus what I negotiate) and a 2005 with 26K and lots of upgrades on this site for $49K. Softened (maybe), confusing - always.

Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
Go for what you like, there are tons on here for sale as well as online sites. Whats your price range and where are you located? Prices seem to have stabilized a bit. Ill bet that one at the dealer for 55k has been sitting for a bit....

Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
I started looking on "Bring a Trailer", then found lost on Carfax.com, then I found the classifieds on this forum. General opinions on where best to find a nice (non-track) Elise?
I found mine on FB marketplace鈥.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm located in Southern Michigan. I can manage a higher price, but I need to believe there is value for the price (not just stupid money). I don't need a SC as the performance increase didn't seem that substantial. I used to have a Toyota Celica with the 2zz motor and it was solid and fun. Add the Lotus weight, balance and dynamics, I think the base 190 hp should be great. I get concerned when a car has had a high number of past owners and when a car has tons of mods.

Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
This is a pretty small community, Lotus simply didn't make many cars. This site is probably the best resource you'll have when researching / analyzing potential cars.
Some mods are great, others more personal taste.
Read the stickies and you'll know what you need to know. These are simple cars.

Oh, and welcome!

Registered
I'm located in Southern Michigan. I can manage a higher price, but I need to believe there is value for the price (not just stupid money). I don't need a SC as the performance increase didn't seem that substantial. I used to have a Toyota Celica with the 2zz motor and it was solid and fun. Add the Lotus weight, balance and dynamics, I think the base 190 hp should be great. I get concerned when a car has had a high number of past owners and when a car has tons of mods.
I'm in southern Michigan too and bought my Elise over at BaT. The car was located in Knoxville and I flew down there and drove it home. Best $30k I ever spent.

Good luck!

Registered
I am not sure you can beat the ability to get to know the owner and the car history with listings on Lotus Talk.

In my case, 5 years after I purchased the car, I still engage with the prior owner on things that come up he might be able to provide some insights on. Not only are cars listed here usually more fairly priced, the value of getting to know the owner can be very valuable.

Administrator
I am not sure you can beat the ability to get to know the owner and the car history with listings on Lotus Talk.

In my case, 5 years after I purchased the car, I still engage with the prior owner on things that come up he might be able to provide some insights on. Not only are cars listed here usually more fairly priced, the value of getting to know the owner can be very valuable.
Many past owners love hearing about love and care given their old car. I keep in touch once a year with my PO.

Reactions: JMack77

Registered
Like @Bell47king I also bought my car from Hayes at WireWheel.com. I had the advantage of already knowing him, since I sold him a race car many years ago, but I trusted him to sell me a car that was ready for a road trip. The other posts are also spot on, though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a pretty small community, Lotus simply didn't make many cars. This site is probably the best resource you'll have when researching / analyzing potential cars.
Some mods are great, others more personal taste.
Read the stickies and you'll know what you need to know. These are simple cars.

Oh, and welcome!
Sorry, what do you mean "stickies"? (these posts?)

Registered
2005 lotus Elise
I hear good things about wirewheel. I was planning on buying one from the forum or wirewheel but traveling is difficult for me and I was searching for years and finally said enough is enough. I posted on a lotus Facebook page for my state that I was looking for an Elise. I got 3 offers. All were good deals. And I didn't have to compete with other buyers as they were not posted publicly. Good luck with your search.

Registered
In addition to this site, where you have the benefits of dealing with the owner directly and looking up the car's history and sometimes not dealing with competing bids, I like the Bring-a-Trailer buying experience, especially for the less well known cars, because 1) there are always knowledgeable people that show up in comments to point out things and ask good questions, which makes it feel like you are bringing a crowd of car buddies with you to help you buy, and 2) I don't end up worrying whether I am paying too much because the bidding process is ensuring that the price is a market price (although quirks are possible with that process as well). There is the commission, but people tend to build that in to what they are willing to offer, so it still can reflect the market price, and/or one could argue that it's a way to pay for 1 and 2.

Registered
I've been a forum stalker for years so I'm biased but when the time comes for me to personally buy one of these I'd most definitely get one from someone on these forums. The amount of knowledge that the owners have here is insane and I'd be flabbergasted to see that knowledge match outside of here especially when you can follow the posting of the sellers car.

Registered
Wire Wheel at Wirewheel.com is a standup place to buy an Elise. I bought mine there sight unseen, something I said I would never do. Prices are very fair. Hayes is easy to deal with and a smooth transaction. Highly recommend.
Ditto that exactly. Hayes is very transparent and hides nothing. I asked lots of questions and got honest straight answers, so I had no surprises when the car arrived last December. He is also excellent with post-sale questions/issues. Mine was missing visors and one of the tools, so I let him know and he sent out replacements. Being new to the Lotus Elise, I had many questions for him after I got the car and he addressed every question asked. I liked the transaction enough that I recently also bought a Panoz AIV Roadster from him. I had never seen a Panoz in person, sat in one, or even driven one (ya, kind of stupid on my part). But, since he'd sold Panoz before, I trusted him. I was not wrong. I'm in California, so also had to deal with shipping, but that went well too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts