The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LTers seem like a well traveled group. I am going to be staying in Montego Bay, Jamaica - does anyone have any recommendations on things to do, things NOT to waste one's time on, places to see, etc. Any do's and don'ts would be appreciated. :cool: There are tons of travel logs and whatnot on the web but I'd rather trust LTers' personal experiences than other random sites. ;) Thanks...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Can i go with you? I'm small enough to fit inside your checked luggage.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
things to do? hmmm.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Do the zip lines canopy tour... Just outside of Montego Bay. I did it a few years ago and it's amazing!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwF20HiAk_s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwF20HiAk_s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/JamaicaAdventureRetreat.htm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take a day trip to Ocho Rios and climb Dunn's River Falls. Drink copious amounts of Red Stripe and puff Cuban stogies (usually counterfeit) on the beach. Above all, have fun mon!! Bon Voyage:D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Be prepared to get hassled by the locals. It is worse than walking through downtown Atlanta.
That happens in most all foreign countries. Ever been to the beach in Rio?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Dunns falls was cool, it's a waterfall you hike up. Drink plenty of red stripe first.

It's funny watching the zip line video, my wife and I were amazed at how easy it would be to die in Jamaica ;)

Another thing we did was a plantation tour. It involved a very harrowing bus ride up a mountain, through very very narrow streets - you could see locals getting water from a pipe that ran through town. The plantation was great, the food was amazing, and we got to tour some of the schools etc.

Pretty amazing, and also somewhat depressing as well, as 25 little kids pushed their addresses into our hands asking us to send money to help their families. We were told that this is professional begging behavior and the kids learn that they can make money this way.

Also, I agree on the hassle factor. One Jamaican guy, named "fire" asked me my name, I said "Dave" he proceeded to carve my name into an ebony idol (about 24" tall with a 10" boner!). He then said "fifty dollars!". I declined and he haunted me for the rest of the day calling me out, and calling me a chicken in front of my new wife. Fun!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Also, I agree on the hassle factor. One Jamaican guy, named "fire" asked me my name, I said "Dave" he proceeded to carve my name into an ebony idol (about 24" tall with a 10" boner!). He then said "fifty dollars!". I declined and he haunted me for the rest of the day calling me out, and calling me a chicken in front of my new wife. Fun!
I had the same thing happen to me in front of the Louvre in Paris. A man took a Polaroid picture of my girlfriend and I in front of the museum as soon as we got out of the cab. He then put the picture in a frame and wanted 15 Euros from us. When I repeatedly declined, he chased us all the way down to the entrance of the museum screaming at us in French and English.

In Rio, beach vendors will hassle you ALL DAY selling sunglasses, bathing suits, drinks, lotions, hats, souvenirs, etc... In some parts of Russia, mothers will have their kids hound you for donations incessantly.

It happens everywhere in the world, including Jamaica. Best thing to do is just smile and ignore anyone who you don't know.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
One Jamaican guy, named "fire" asked me my name, I said "Dave" he proceeded to carve my name into an ebony idol (about 24" tall with a 10" boner!). He then said "fifty dollars!". I declined and he haunted me for the rest of the day calling me out, and calling me a chicken in front of my new wife. Fun!
You should have said, "Dick." Then he could have sold it to anyone as a piece of art with a caption.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts