The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I'd buy some 3m automotive trim tape, cut it into slivers, and hold it on with those. You want something removable if the need ever arises.

It's funny though, mine are held on by giant globs of a rubbery glue on the backside, and they were a nightmare to remove.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
I'd use (Permatex) clear RTV glue/sealant. Clean both mating surfaces thoroughly, then apply a small bead in the crevice on the back side of the fitting, then stick it back in where it goes. Wipe the excess off with a paper towel. Put a top bow in on that side to apply compression to the fitting while the glue sets. Come back 12 hours later and it'll be stuck in there, and completely watertight into the bargain.

If the silicone didn't do the trick, probably the next step would be a urethane glue like 'gorilla glue.' Should stick well to both surfaces, and positively won't come off. I don't like it as well as the RTV silicone for this sort of use because it isn't as nice to things when it fails.

I wouldn't use the VHB tape because it doesn't fill gaps as well as a liquid.

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
I use Henry's 212 crystal clear sealant 10.1 oz cartridge available from big box stores. It remains flexible, drys clear and I find that it bonds stronger than clear silicon. I used it to keep condensate tube from flopping around and between rain showers if needed I can jump up on the roof and do repairs lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts