The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Lotus Esprit, '05 Pontiac GTO, '13 BMW 335i
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a red 97 Esprit that was delivered this week. Car shows no signs it was repainted but the paint code shows as B05. I believe that is the code for yellow, not red?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I picked up a red 97 Esprit that was delivered this week. Car shows no signs it was repainted but the paint code shows as B05. I believe that is the code for yellow, not red?
Double check the number, you could be mistaking the 5 for a 3 as B03 is Calypso red. You are correct B05 is Norfolk mustard yellow
B05 Norfolk Mustard AB N9561 A082B6296F A082B6192V
Hit the INTRO link below

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Definitely B05 on the vin decal. Any history of errors on these? Car does not appear to be repainted a different color.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Definitely B05 on the vin decal. Any history of errors on these? Car does not appear to be repainted a different color.
That's an odd one, would you be OK to post a photo of the VIN? I assume you are getting the paint code from the decal located under the Frunk next to the fuse box?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Tom, NVM, I just saw the pic you posted on FB, your car has (now confirmed NOT) been repainted red, it’s clear from the decal masking as there should not be a red border inside the decal edge. At least if you can’t tell anywhere obvious it’s been well done. It should have a clear film border on the outside, like these door jamb and frunk decals:
F400B998-7DCB-4CD2-8D45-F3213597BB25.jpeg

3200CABB-9EC2-44C7-8856-3979D6470694.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this in the Lotus owners record book also. Vin and engine number match also to what's noted in the manual. Appears to be an error on the vin decal but will be ordering a certificate of provenance just to see what it shows.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Confirm the VIN on the decal in the frunk matches the VIN underneath the windshield lower edge. If they don’t match, it could be a world of hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confirm the VIN on the decal in the frunk matches the VIN underneath the windshield lower edge. If they don’t match, it could be a world of hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both VIN locations on the car body match to the chassis stamp VIN.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Not only MUST all of the vin tags match, they must also match the Title. Very important to do this BEFORE you buy a car, ANY car. Any discrepancies and either get the seller to correct it or do not buy the car! If everything doesn't match up correctly you must be suspicious of the car's lineage. While it could be an innocent typo, it can also mean the car was stolen. Errors with vin's are very rare. Same goes for mileage. Every time a car is sold the mileage gets recorded. A later Title cannot have a lower mileage than a previous Title.While it could have the same mileage, if it is lower, either it is a typo or someone has tampered with the odometer. Again, another BIG RED FLAG!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zero error with the VIN. Just the car is red, documentation and appearance show it's always been red. Paint code is B05 for Norfolk Yellow.

Wasn't sure if this was a common mistake made by Lotus. Definitely a mistake from the factory though.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Eddie and Dave both make very good points, in one way it’s interesting that you’ve found an ‘anomaly’, which if correct has gone unnoticed by multiple previous owners, on the other hand it now raises several Possible scenarios, some of which are not beneficial to the cars Provenance. Hopefully it is simply a typo made 24 years ago and only your due diligence picked it up, though to be honest I’ve never heard of another typo like that since they went digital (barcode) Or even before that on a paint color, An extremely detailed repaint doesn’t sound likely, but there are many examples out there. I would suggest dropping Andy Graham an email explaining your situation and ask if he could simply confirm the VIN (you’ll need to include a picture of each decal) and the factory recorded color. He has done this type of thing for me in the past, obviously a full COP would help but they have become somewhat expensive under the new owners. There are some members here who could also verify it but you don’t appear willing to post a pic of the full decal, Which is of course your choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sent Andy an email last night and received a reply today. I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. He is stating their records show the car as red. Appears to be an error on the VIN sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Sent Andy an email last night and received a reply today. I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. He is stating their records show the car as red. Appears to be an error on the VIN sticker.
Positive result (y) I would print and hang on to that Email which should eliminate any future confusion should you decide to sell. I can just hear all the Esprit owners running down to check the paint codes on their VIN's:ROFLMAO:, can't help but think how popular Norfolk mustard yellow cars are though ;) (previous post now corrected)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
My Excel is silver
C of P from Lotus says red
Vin tag says red[and is silver underneath]
It is possible in 33 years someone painted it, and even did a serious body off, all hardware off paint job like it was a vintage restoration

But would you really strip the paint off of the inside under the carpet panels, or inside the trunk behind the carpeted panels, not just repaint them?

Inside the doors?
Plus the paint is not that nice for all that work

So, I think this happens more often than it comes out
My personal theory is that in, what, 9 years they built 200 some LHD Excels, and they were probably mostly special order cars. Someone changed their mind or lost their deposit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts