The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a WiFi/Bluetooth OBD2 reader, and downloaded the DashCommand app on my iPhone. It connected, and gave me all the readings - no issues with that.

However, now I have these three red circles on, and they fluctuate as I drive.
The fluctuation is all three initially on at stop, then to 1 (right) at take off, then to 2 (left and center) as RPMs increase.

It is driving normally, no issues with shifting or rev limit.

I didn’t have any error codes, only got it for the gauge functions within the app, but cleared the codes just in case - that did not solve.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Odd. Those are the high rpm tell tales (also referred to as the shift indicators). They normally aren't illuminated until you get close to higher rpm ranges.

Have you tried disconnecting your OBD adapter? Maybe it's causing some sort of erroneous rpm reading/interference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I disconnected, then reconnected, and disconnected again. I drove the car with and without it. It didn’t change the outcome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If these circles are flashing it is can be an indication that the TCU has been reset and the transmission needs the green learns performing

·
Registered
44 Posts
The green learns are usually done using the diagnostic equipment. It is important the the transmission fluid temp is at the correct range and it is easier to regulate the torque inputs using the cruise control rather than trying to do it with throttle pedal movement.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Ah, apparently the IPS uses those indicators for an extra function. Good call @m111mk2

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. glad it worked out. There is another procedure we recommend to "mature" the learns and help maintain the shift quality:
In Use Driving Learns:

Designed to mature the Green Learns, this is a dynamic adaption process that frequently optimizes the transmission learns, allowing shift quality to be maintained.

Performing Procedure To complete the transmission Learns process, the vehicle must be driven in Sport Mode whilst in manual gear selection mode, following the procedure below:

1.For all TCU learns, the transmission fluid temperature must be between 45 and 95⁰ C

2.Manually select any gear from 2nd to 6th, then accelerate from a low RPM & low load, slowly increase the load and engine RPM (up to about 60% load (but no greater than 4000 rpm), this increase in speed & load should be done very gradually, typically taking between 45 to 60 seconds for each sweep from 1200 to 4000 rpm).

3. Repeat the above sweep two more times for the gear selected.

4. Then repeat steps 2 & 3 again for all other remaining gears between 2nd and 6th.

- The process can be completed in any sequence of gears.

- Note the above sweeps are not required for 1st gear.

- Note to mature/complete the transmissions Learns, it is important to hold the transmission in a gear and drive steadily over the above speed and load range (clutch & brake adaptions will not be learned during shifts).

- Driving a vehicle hard with multiple gear shifts will not improve a transmissions Learns and may lead to reduce shift quality

5. Torque converter lock up clutch learn:

- Select D, Tour Mode (not in Sport or Race Mode).

- On a level road, hold vehicle at a steady 62 mph (100 km/h) then gently accelerate to 75 mph (120 km/h).

- This will normally be in 6th gear, ensure no gearchange happens during the transition between these to and from speeds.

6.Finally Select D, Tour Mode (not in Sport or Race Mode) and drive the vehicle gently shifting up and down through all the gears, repeat this 2 to 3 times for each gear change.

7.The transmissions learns should now be complete.

8.To ensure the Transmission Learns are stored in the TCU, Key Off the ignition, press and hold down the P & D buttons for greater than 10 seconds, to force the TCU to power down (the learns are now saved in the TCU).

You will know when the TCU powers down as the PRND lights will go out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts