The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,

Has anyone tried using only water and Red Line Water Wetter instead of anit-freeze/coolant in their Elise with stock radiator? Any positive or negative experiences shared would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John
'05 Midnight Blue

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
In our race cars, we would use water and a water wetter additive. It works fine but our radiator caps were typically over 20 PSI caps. Found out from my engine builder that a tablespoon of dish soap would do the same thing. Ideally, I was told that about a 17% mixture of antifreeze and water will produce the best cooling. The major problem is that without antifreeze, you are going to lose the capability to keep the water from freezing.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've used Water Wetter in many vehicles. It works. In Esprit circles, the recommendation was 1/3rd antifreeze, 2/3rd distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. That's what I ran in it, and what I put in vehicles with marginal cooling capacity, versus the 50:50 usually recommended.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I was club racing an Alfa GTV6, I ran with 25% antifreeze with the red line water wetter.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Water wetter works best with 100% distilled water because the distilled water has already been deaerated of dissolved gases like air and CO2. The water wetter further reduces the size of bubble formation in the cylinder head. If your cooling is system is marginal, it will help reduce temperatures in hot weather substantially. There is also a water soluble pump seal lubricant in it. As you add antifreeze percentage the effectiveness of the water wetter decreases. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
An advantage of water over antifreeze, if it gets released to track it’s not slippery. I know of a fellow who was killed at CMP from a big off due to a failed coolant hose on a Pcar they were following.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
@XHILR8N! If you are caught with antifreeze in your circle track car, they will give you a very nice fine. For the reason that you mentioned, it is very hard to get it off the track and it is definitely not a traction additive. ;-)
Later,
Eldon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts