The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing the left side motor mount, I pulled the electric coolant recirculation pump (mostly to get the big funky bracket that's strapped to the pump out of the way). FYI this is the pump that recirculates coolant for a few minutes after the engine is shut off, when the coolant is hot.

When I disconnected the two hoses, the fluid that came out was a bit reddish, which seems odd (I lost maybe 1/2 cup of fluid before I got the hoses plugged). It's watery and has the consistency of coolant, but why would it be reddish? The coolant in the overflow tank has the normal yellow-greenish color.

I'm about to reconnect the recirc pump, I just want to make sure I didn't lose some kind of pump lubricant or something. I can't really see how I could have, but thought I'd check just in case.

TIA,

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I'm an idiot. Turns out it was just coolant. I'm not used to the OAT coolant in the Exige (the orange stuff). The color is a bit strange, it changes depending on how the light shines on it. If you have a small amount lying on metal (like in the aluminum pan I used to catch the spillage), sometimes it looks red, sometimes it looks yellow-green. Never really looks orange to me :shrug:.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts