The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed PPE headers and noticed the bracket connecting the engine block to the collector seemed over built and heavier than necessary. It appears strong enough to tow the vehicle, which is more strength than necessary to brace the header.

The bracket is galvanized mild steel and weights .87 lbs (395 g). Since I had to be at work on Saturday for my companies Christmas open house I decided to spend some time modeling the part and seeing how much weight I could remove from it.

Analysis showed that the weakest point on the bracket was not significantly effected by adding holes. Approximately a 10% decrease in overall strength. And the reward for this weight savings is .21 lbs (95 g) :rolleyes: Not much, but it is essentially a free upgrade.

The black bracket in the second picture connects the stock bracket to the PPE headers. I will also add 3 holes to this bar to reduce it's weight. Finally, the two bolts for that bracket were longer than necessary so I replaced them with shorter bolts.

Together, both brackets and bolts weighed in at 1.48 lbs (673 g). This worked reduced it to 1.10 lbs (500 g). A savings of .38 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hah, very nice! I'm told that there is tons of weight in this car in bolts / fasteners. Replacing with titanium could save a lot of weight.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Colin would be pleased.

·
Registered
903 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yet another opportunity for a site sponsor/vendor to make a better than factory part which they didn't get right.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine cracked and caused an ungodly squeal.
Your stock header broke, not the mounting plate. This shows that the mounting plate is not the weak point and can stand to loose some weight. I would second the recommendations of stiffening up the motor mounts to reduce the chance of this happening to you again. Or upgrade your header.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished the project and came in a bit under the estimated weight. :D

Final Weights
Stock Bracket: .67 lbs (305 g)
Header Bar: .26 lbs (119 g)

Total saving, both brackets and bolts: .39 lbs (178 g) :p

It looks great, too bad no one will see it.

Attachments

·
Toys Performance
933 Posts
Lotus talk speak...

Soon you will hear:

"can you make me one?"
"it's 50 cents worth of medal, why are you asking $xxx for it?"

LOL

Seriously though, I can only imagine what this would cost in time spent labour wise, computer modelling and production. Good thing you did it for fun!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Soon you will hear:
"can you make me one?"

Seriously though, I can only imagine what this would cost in time spent labour wise, computer modelling and production. Good thing you did it for fun!
I already get requests from people about my exhaust and switchblade key fob. I don't have the time or desire to make these again. The non-perpendicular angles of the exhaust bracket make it difficult to hold in the mill and add to the setup time. De-burring took almost as long as drilling it.

:clap: That would fit nicely into the RLS linup!
I hope this is something you can use. I would recommend manufacturing a completely new bracket from three pieces of bar stock and welding them together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts