The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just ordered it...should be getting here in a week from overseas. I'm intending to use it for karting sessions, though a quick read of the karting forums has a big debate on mirror usage in karting. I think the WKA has mirrors as illegal in kart racing. I understand the arguments against, I would just prefer to have situational awareness than not - don't intent to get offline or block or any of the other no no's...just like to know what's going on.

Should be pretty cool, will try it out and report back

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That is an awesome concept. If I rode, I would definitely invest in this

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I put a set of karting-specific wide-angle mirrors on my shifter kart years ago when I first got it. I didn't find them to be very useful as the nature of karting has you looking around a bit anyways.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Came today via DHL...just put on the obligatory Lotus stickers and GoPro mount on the top (couldn't fit in near the mouth where I have it on my other helmets).

Helmet is made very well, super comfortable, light, removable interior, etc.

The rear view thing works although there is slight distortion that ranges from unnoticeable to slightly noticeable. It is not as bad as it looks in the photo below when you are looking through the helmet. I think since there is no glass in the unit it's using some kind of chromed plastic to get the reflection to bend round the inside top of the helmet. I don't have a bike so I will try it out this weekend karting. It probably won't be mind blowing at a kart track since it's not a super wide field of view, just what is directly behind you. Although I guess you could move around a tad left or right to see. Regardless, it's very cool tech and a no brainer for anyone who rides on the street.

The upper back of the helmet has a plastic cover where the opening is in the back to let the image in. I've taken an approximate image of what it looks like inside the helmet, though it looks much better when you are actually looking at it. You adjust the mirror up or down, and tilt it based on the angle of your head position - it's pretty easy to setup.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts