The Lotus Cars Community banner

Refinishing the airbag

3514 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  rwbronco
As documented in many places the surface of the airbag cover is not the best part of the car. Mine was heavily scuffed and as sticky as a wet postage stamp. A few weeks ago I pulled it and sprayed it with black plastidip. I was unable to get the sticky surface clean enough and end up with an unsatisfactory amount of schmutz showing throughout he plastidip. Last night I figured out the solution: lacquer thinner.

Once I pulled off the previous coat of plastidip, I used a wash cloth with lacquer thinner to try to clean the schmutz sticking to the original airbag coating. I noticed the coating starting to discolor and realized the black on the airbag is actually a coating over a base grey plastic that is the actual airbag cover. After a few minutes of scrubbing I had this:

After another half-hour of scrubbing:

This left an excellent clean surface for the plastidip which looks factory fresh. I opted to plastidip the outer ring black as I didn't have anything that would match the silver.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't look too bad without platidip. Can you confirm or are the pictures more than due justice?
I thought about that as well. but there is a bit of coating in the crevasses that I couldn't get out and I didn't think the color went with the rest of the interior. The pictures are accurate. so if you have a storm car, maybe it would work. The silver paint around the edge trim is also difficult to get off.

· Tire abuser
776 Posts
Looks very nice! I was just talking to someone about this little mod the other day and how the plastidip has held up very well. I clean it with interior cleaner and a cloth and it still looks great after almost 2 year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.