The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the "Hypocrite" thread got a little out of hand. Something that bothers me is that some of the people who disagreed with my point of view took the opportunity to use "argumenta ad hominem" (arguments against the man) to attack me rather than actually using solid arguments to disprove my statements. Whether or not you like me or whether you believe I'm a hypocrite is irrelevant to whether my point of view is valid. In the future, try to keep such debates less personal and maybe the thread won't get closed. For the record, I have no hard feelings towards anyone... I just wish the opportunity remained for the discussion to have continued in a civil fashion.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Well Steve,
Got to admit I only glanced at the hypocrite as it outlived itself two pages ago.

My personal opinion, keeping in mind I don't know you. You post about all the things wrong with the country and yet you continue to live here and make money here, I don't see you working in a third world country to help the poor.

I see you getting ready to buy a 50K toy and justify it by saying "you feel bad but you really like cars". Seems a bit hypocritical when you note your posts about Americans and their entitlement, seems your justification is entitlement.

I guess I could take you more seriously in your beliefs/thoughts if you were actually doing something and not just posting here "I try to help out". While you live in your house drive fancy cars etc, smacks of incredible hypocrisy.

Please don't take this as an insult you asked, thought I'd tell you.

Chris:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,

I understand completely. Believe me, I do. Allow me to explain further:

While I believe that everyone deserves a fair chance in life, I don't believe that everyone deserves to live the same lifestyle. I believe in capitalism for the most part, and I think that people deserve to "live better" than others if they're willing to work harder than others. Because I've worked full time since I was 15, through college, and 100 hour work weeks for the last 6 years I feel justified in living in a little luxury. I've earned every dollar I have.

What I don't believe in are the following:
  1. Inheritance - I don't think that people are entitled to a better life because of the efforts of their ancestors. Upon death, I am of the belief that anything over, say a half million dollars should be dissolved into the general economic well-being of the world.
  2. Economic imbalance between nations. I think it's obviously unfair that just because you're born somewhere you get more opportunity in life. Personally, I'd like to see a universal government, but that's an ideal that is unlikely due to lack of cultural homogeny.
  3. Military opression - there's absolutely no reason to attack or kill anyone. None. If we eliminate so called "defense" resources, how much more productive do you think this world would be? Think about it... the millions of people that spend their lives building war machines and using those war machines to kill others could be building housing or farming or building awesome little sports cars! How much better would life be?

Again, these are ideals. I think that they would be great, but I don't expect to see things like this implemented in my lifetime. The fact that I live contrary to these ideals in many ways is not something that I care to discuss in detail. Please believe, though, that I think long and hard about everything I do, and I have reasons for everything I do, as I'm sure all of you do.

Sorry if I've pissed anyone off.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
transio said:
I think that people deserve to "live better" than others if they're willing to work harder than others. Because I've worked full time since I was 15, through college, and 100 hour work weeks for the last 6 years I feel justified in living in a little luxury. I've earned every dollar I have.

What I don't believe in are the following:
  1. Inheritance - I don't think that people are entitled to a better life because of the efforts of their ancestors. Upon death, I am of the belief that anything over, say a half million dollars should be dissolved into the general economic well-being of the world.

1. Already I see a contradiction! You claim that people who work harder than others should be entitled to some luxury. Now, lets say you've worked as hard as you have, and now you have kids. 2 adorable little girls, 5 and 7 years of age. Now what happens if you and your wife get into a terrible accident and pass on too soon. Sure there is some life insurance, but all that hard work over the last 10 years has fortunately paid off, as your daughters can inherit 3 million dollars. Sure the money wont replace parents, but it will help with all sorts of things down the road so that they, in your legacy, can have a few luxuries. Now what if the state says, screw all your hard work, this money doesnt belong to your innocent daughters, it belongs to the state. How would that make you feel? Wouldnt you think all that hard work was meaningless? Why bother working hard? Why bother trying to have a better life when someone else who doesnt work as hard is entitled to it when you die?

I dont need to even bother with your other ideals. I couldnt even bother reading over the hypocrite thread. This is a car forum. We all have our opinions about life, share them on a different forum.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MW<
We got too much time on our hands waiting for cars "idle hands are the devil's workshop!":D

Chris
Glad he's in the first batch but not really rubbing it in.;)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Chris,

I really dont have time. Notice how my post count has been dwindling in the last month! And I'll be gone all April, although I'll try to post from my beach resort in Saipan :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:

I really dont have time. Notice how my post count has been dwindling in the last month! And I'll be gone all April, although I'll try to post from my beach resort in Saipan :D
Ahem...is that a cry for sympathy? :cool: ;)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
MW<
Saipan? YOu'll be back in time to get your car I hope
Cheers!!
Chris
Unless lotus all of the sudden ramps their production up so that we all get our cars in May, I'll be back in time.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just to add a couple of cents...

I personally dislike political diiscussions (and probably religious and hot buttons like abortion, etc). The reason is not that I don't have opinions. But that these things only serve to divide us. Maybe I get one or two people on the forum that I really relate to (believe in a totalitarian sloth government where we are all ruled by slow moving tree-dwelling sloths).. but that would be negated by all the people that would rather be for a monkey run aristocracy.

I find it's easier to relate to people on a car forum, when I keep things light and either about cars or amusing crap. I can get enough debate at home with my kids.

But that is just me. If people want to debate these kinds of topics, go for it. But if it gets out of hand and becomes personal, my philosophy is to close the threads before all hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Maybe I get one or two people on the forum that I really relate to (believe in a totalitarian sloth government where we are all ruled by slow moving tree-dwelling sloths)..
Count me in as one of those ;)

I've always thought that a kinkajou senate would nicely compliment that.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'll do my best to keep my opinions to myself, of course it's difficult to restrain the tendency to be an argumentative *******. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts