The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 2007 Exige from New York. The car is here in my garage.

Can anyone tell me if I have to smog the car before taking it to DMV for registration in CA? DMV website says I don't have to but everyone tells me that I do. Anyone has the DEFINITIVE answer on this.

I have never registered a car on my own before. What is the process like? What to expect? I only want to make one trip to the DMV hell hole.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
DMV website says I don't have to but everyone tells me that I do. Anyone has the DEFINITIVE answer on this.
You are misunderstanding the DMV website. You must smog an out of state purchased car.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i just went through this...

yes you must smog it

get an AAA membership and you can do it at one of their offices and avoid DMV

be aware that CA fines you pretty heavily for every day after (i think its 20 days) after you bring the car into the state and register it late. (you can allways state any date tho)

expect to pay aroud 400+ bucks registering it.

you also have ~20 days to get a CA drivers liscence, and the cops can impound your car at will after that if you do not have one..... i got threatened with this.

allways be carefull what you say - CA is not like the east coast - they are very uptight and have lots of punsihments in CA, weird crazy legal obssed people here.... I ahve found its better to lie on your behalf, honesty does not get you very far in the system here. east coast tends to be more laid back.

i got an "illegal u-turn ticket in LA, but "got out of it" by taking driver school inline - the one thing i learned in drivers school? ...it was a LEGAL u-turn :shrug:

they wanted to impound my car in LA and i live in san deigo!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am leasing the car from my bank Wells Fargo. Who is responsible for registering the car? They gave me the paperwork, but shouldn't they do it? I am paying the lease plus taxes on the monthly lease. Im afraid if I were to register the car, DMV will make me pay sales tax on the purchase price, effectively making me pay sales tax twice.

Any idea?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I don't think you can pay sales tax as its not actually your vehicle and you didn't purchase it. Why did you lease a vehicle from out of state through your bank...I didn't know banks even did leasing...I was under the impression that a 3rd party leasing company did it, and worked through the dealership (with the dealership as the middleman).

Try this for starters:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm

Next I'd call your bank and talk to them about it. Does your bank know you will keep the car outside of the state it was leased in?

Then I'd call the California DMV and ask them how to go about registering the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts