The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if there is a current Toyota Engine Elise that is somewhat of a guinea pig, and that has many miles on it for test purposes?

I've always wondered what the process is for a company trying out a new engine. How hard do they work the engine? Do they beat on it to see where it gives first? Is it possible that there is a Toyota Engine Elise out there with 40K plus miles on it and counting?

I'm wondering if the company would even give out that type of information so that we don't feel like such guinea pigs with the new engine...

EG

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There were cars last summer being tested in the heat or Arizona.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Ara said:
Given that the engine is already in 1000s of Toyotas with no major issues raised, I would think we are not exactly on the bleeding edge.
There were some major issues with the toyota motor, but those have since been resolved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, but how do you guys know this (curious)? Is that public information from a car company or somewhat top secret?

There were some major issues with the toyota motor, but those have since been resolved
Do you know what the major issues were and how they resolved it?

Ara-
You mentioned there are already 1000 Toyota/Elises out there running. Do you mean being built or actually on the road in Euroupe?

Thanks for the replies guys,

EG

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The issues with the 2ZZ was oiling problems, a mis-shift would typically kill the engine. The engine also did not like sustained cornering forces. They also had some oil pump issues.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Esprit said:

Ara-
You mentioned there are already 1000 Toyota/Elises out there running. Do you mean being built or actually on the road in Euroupe?

Thanks for the replies guys,

EG
The engine it not new. It is the same engine that is in many other Toyotas. It has been around for a couple years. It is just new to Lotus.

-Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The time around 1999-2002 was not a good time for Toyota engines.

1ZZ engines prone to early failure, cat problems on the Spyders.
2ZZ oiling problems
V6 engines Oil Foaming and premature death.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Randy Chase said:
...a mis-shift would typically kill the engine....
That's a "driver issue", not an engine issue. :D

As for my 2ZZ-GE in about 40K miles , I've had a minor radiator leak, and I've had the belt tensioner and belts replaced twice under warrantee for obnoxious belt squeaking (the belts squeaking is a very common problem).

There are also two bolts involved in the variable lift system that very commonly wear and break. I probably will have that problem too ... but there's no symptoms yet.

There's a new bolt design for the newer engines, but I don't don't think it completely rectifies the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts