The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took some pictures of the proposed mounting location for the battery.
I would simply route the existing battery cables through the firewall grommet, which is shared by some other wires. (picture enclosed)
I am no sure how to fasten the S111 battery bracket to the aluminum chassis as there are no existing threaded holes.

The idea came from the 2-eleven. Its battery is located in the same spot.
I think removing 12lbs from the tail is a good idea, considering the s1 elise's battery is located beside the wiper motor.
Thoughts....?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
maybe not such a great spot in the event of an accident. I don't think you want it breaking loose a spraying it's contents on the occupants not to mention it cracking someone in the head. If you do it I'd secure it a lot more solidly than the sector bracket.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe not such a great spot in the event of an accident. I don't think you want it breaking loose a spraying it's contents on the occupants not to mention it cracking someone in the head. If you do it I'd secure it a lot more solidly than the sector bracket.
It's a dry cell battery. They don't spray.
But good point about the bracket.
thanks

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It's a dry cell battery. They don't spray.
But good point about the bracket.
thanks
They don't spray like a flooded can, but ths stuff inside is still nasty and they still off-gas. Additionally, if the casse ruptures and the guts touch you, the burns will look the same. Personally, I'd keep it out of the passenger compartment.

If you decide to keep it there, please box it and avoid drilling into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you decide to keep it there, please box it and avoid drilling into the fuel tank.
How much space is there between the fuel tank and the place where I want to mount the battery?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
How much space is there between the fuel tank and the place where I want to mount the battery?
That, I don't know (I fortunately haven't had cause to pull mine). I think if you pull that access panel towards the driver's side, you can see the clearance.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
I ran mine up the the space where the A/C used to be. I used the same routing as the A/C lines, up and over into the empty space in right front behind the crash structure.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
They don't spray like a flooded can, but ths stuff inside is still nasty and they still off-gas. Additionally, if the casse ruptures and the guts touch you, the burns will look the same. Personally, I'd keep it out of the passenger compartment.

VERY true.....I am really not sure what you are trying to accomplish or the validity of it.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I think this is great idea. I'd much rather have the storage space in the boot.

It does seem like a challenge for those who use a battery tender.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
VERY true.....I am really not sure what you are trying to accomplish or the validity of it.
+1

It seems like a lot of work for a very negligible "improvement" (and if you were honest to yourself, you'd probably admit that you can't take advantage of 100% of what the Elise is capable of stock). Add to that the dangers in a wreck, and the loss of resale value, and I don't understand why anyone would even consider hacking up the car like that. :shrug:

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1

It seems like a lot of work for a very negligible "improvement" (and if you were honest to yourself, you'd probably admit that you can't take advantage of 100% of what the Elise is capable of stock). Add to that the dangers in a wreck, and the loss of resale value, and I don't understand why anyone would even consider hacking up the car like that. :shrug:
always the pessimist huh..
I bet you only like vanilla ice cream, drink your coffee black,
and floss daily.

What fun is a car if you can't play with it???
Resale value...do you REALLY think about this...you bought a Lotus, enjoy it
while you're young.
:shrug:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
This is a "great" "original" car, designed by professionals, are you an engineer....leave it alone!!!
i am an engineer - thats why i got a geeky battery that weighs 4.5lbs and i can put it in the stock location, 100% reversable, and take care of the tail end weight... completly a non issue at that weight, i think the carpet and pad in the trunk weigh more than the battery !
:eek:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
and floss daily.

while you're young.
You don't get it do you? Enjoy your car, have fun!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Go for it! I relocated my battery (PC680) on the shelf behind the passenger seat - stock cables reach there perfectly. I don't like the stock position - could break loose and damage the clam.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
and floss daily.

while you're young.
wisdom really does come with age.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Go for it! I relocated my battery (PC680) on the shelf behind the passenger seat - stock cables reach there perfectly. I don't like the stock position - could break loose and damage the clam.
Secure it very well or it could break loose and damage your noggin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you remove the passenger's footrest, place the battery there and take a photo?
That location puts more weight on the front wheels and car's lowers the center of mass.
(All my life I wanted to put the battery in the trunk, now I have a battery in the trunk and want to move it to the front!)
Chris

·
Registered
377 Posts
In the Lotus Elan S1 and S2 the stock location of the lead acid battery was on the floor behind the passenger seat. Surely in the interest of balance, but that is really a scary place for a lead acid battery.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 65 Posts