The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to remove the blower controls, and relocate to under panel. On an angle, above and between shifter and parcel compartment. Exactly under where it is now.

Question, anyone know if there is enough wiring to drop controls. Or will I need to lengthen stuff.

Plan is to make instrument cluster taking up entire parcel tray. Which will incorporate AF, oil and coolant temps and pressures, vacuum, volt etc.
I know the gauge cluster reads coolant temp already, its not that I dont trust the ceramic sensor. I know they wear out and its nice to have a backup analogue.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
One of my few complaints ergonomically is that I have to lean forward to touch the heater controls

If I was going to move them I would put them closer

Gauges ought to be in line of sight, IMO.....oil pressure ought to be as big as the speedo.........temp has a readout, but who reads it[and who over the age of 45 can]....a nice big light would be handy............

volt gauge, ehhh, amp gauge is my favorite, but that is a whole engineering project for little reward.

vacuum gauge?

My 64 S2 Seven had a vacuum gauge installed in 1972 when it was restreeted

It was never hooked up, when I bought it in 1997, and never until I reinstalled a factory dash with no place for it

It serves no real purpose, put a port if you wish and keep one in the toolbox for diagnostics.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yes. A few questionable gauges. I suspect when one has a vacuum leak. it may be quicker to diagnose this. though I am not sure how my computer reads map. and maybe its just bling...and $100, most of my vehicles, (except my élan's and 7's and old mercedes has boost) so I am sort of used to driving with this awareness. and something to do outside of changing baby diapers. actually, i feel very tough changing diapers, his older brothers almost die when I offer $10. they wouldn't do it for $100...
I have a low coolant light on my trucks, Volvos, Sterlings, F550's Excursion, cummins, also oil pressure etc.
The only real reason for a volt meter, is its difficult to get into the car if it needs a battery jump. So turning on power before getting comfortable seems like maybe a good thing?

good point on moving control closer to driver. suspect with 4 or 5 point harness, might be impossible. bluetooth?

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
If I were thinking radically, slide switches on the console for the heater controls. slide because you don't have to look at them to tell where they are.

Your mention of bluetooth reminded me of my rear view cam android tablet project, and makes me wonder if you could accomplish gauges that way

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose like anything, if you practice enough. You will remember where they are. One of my trucks has burnt out lights on the heater control panel, but i know turning all the dials all the way to the right is max everything. The dial on the left is heat...
My eyes get tired of the bright lights at night when I am trying to concentrate on road hazards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You won't have enough wire to reach down below the dash "tray" area without modifying the harness. You might be able to get away with just unspooling a bit of the harness to get more length on the hvac section separated from the rest of the wires, rather than actually lengthening it, but I can't confirm that.

You're also going to have to drill/cut a hole through the bottom of your dash for the wires to go through. The stock routing is out a hole between the hvac pod thing and the headunit, there's no way to pass the wires from there to the underside of the dash though.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
YOu can fish wires from the head unit area behind the airbag cover and over to the a pillar and from there just about anywhere. Save yourself headache and buy 4 of the airbag retaining 'screws' and just pop the bag cover off [thus breaking the existing screws] and run the wires then put it back on

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, you can route wires around to either side, passenger side being easier, but if you want to route the wires around through an existing hole like that you will definitely need to lengthen them quite a bit.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
344 Posts
If you're concerned about line of sight issues for the gauges, you might think about mounting them on top of the dash. I've done this for Oil temp, press, and clock (personal preference!). However more than three gauges might get crowded up there. See the photo.
Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moving the hole below where it exits the wiring harness, leaves enough wire.
Of course, you must run the wire in front of the parcel tray. Where my gages are going, so all will be well.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts