The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Sorry, not posted in a while, but I do remember you all being more than enthusiastic about this:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/couple-more-pics-peskys-bright-exige-28093/index4.html

So, after 50+ track days, the rare amount of sunlight rotfl here in the UK, road trips and general use, between me and Rob, we decided to update the legend that is Pesky's Exige :clap:

Hope you enjoy the detail and end result, all is painted on, with no paint lines present when you feel the paint as they are all under the clear coat, no stickers, other than the custom dash one, we even did the floor mats and made Rob his own personal customised 'Lotus Sport' logo under the rear spoiler.

I will update with a set of my own pics shortly :)

Repaint 2012 - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Gota love the Blue and Orange
I do to but does it really make sense on a Lotus??? :huh: I get it on Gt40's, Porshes, and marques that were involved with Gulf racing - but Lotus?

Also StephenM - are you the actual painter of the car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, yeah I painted it both times for Rob, I see where you are coming from with the Gulf reference, but, in reality the colours are quite a way from the much lighter colours used on the GT40, etc.
We tried very hard to avoid that and the blue is a brand new colour for 2012, the orange is an undiluted orange from the scheme, we obviously avoided the Gulf stripes, it's very different if you look side by side.
As Rob said, it's not to everyone's taste but it's his car and a (2nd lol) realisation of how he wanted it :)
It was a major task labour wise, but it's been received well overall and Rob is more than pleased with it and that's all that matters :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.s. we did a Martini scheme for another local a couple of years back, didn't make sense 'historically' either but it's what he wanted and it looks fantastic :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob will have to detail on the specific wheels, they are Speedline Corsas as far as I remember, they were pretty stone chipped and track worn but they refurbished up well, jet black base with the Speedline logo done in the orange and blue and then clear coated to seal it all in.
I had totally forgotten a few years before that I had in fact refurbed those and 3 other sets for a good mutual friend of ours Russ Treasure who used to campaign his Exige in the Lotus on track series lmao :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few issues with that Elige- it had already been done before and there are a couple of other cars out there (maybe not as distinctive but its unique status is eroded) and due to personal circumstance the orange isn't practical for Rob now.
He made a very, very good job of preserving the colour (it usually fades badly in <2 years) and stretched it out for 5 years, considering its life and how its used, that is pretty impressive.
As much as Rob loved the last scheme, he said he wouldn't be in a position to re-do the car again in a couple of years.

From a personal POV, the fit and finish this time round is much better, we did a lot of things to the car that we wanted to do last time but didn't get chance - stuff like seals round the spoiler stays where they enter the clam - I will get some other pics up that show the build - the front compartments and engine bay came up like new - we refurbished the entire boot/trunk area as well, I have some nice shots of that, just need to download them....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
From a personal POV, the fit and finish this time round is much better, we did a lot of things to the car that we wanted to do last time but didn't get chance - stuff like seals round the spoiler stays where they enter the clam - I will get some other pics up that show the build - the front compartments and engine bay came up like new - we refurbished the entire boot/trunk area as well, I have some nice shots of that, just need to download them....
Can't wait to see the build pictures - that should be cool. Would love to see more detail too - like some of the small things.

By the way, what sort of paint was that that fades like that? Was it a flourescent type?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vishus, yeah it was fluorescent orange/red, it was horrible stuff to work with and it's not meant for external use, more for safety applications in low light areas ha ha!
The way I did it I used a white base with white pearl, the orange and an intermediate coat of blue pearl, then clear coat with UV inhibitor added to slightly above the recommended amount - you can't push it too far though as it slows drying and yellows the clear quite a bit. In total parts of the car had 22 layers.
I didn't think the pearls made a difference but when I have seen it in certain pics you can see the shimmer and light being pulled about on curves, etc.

I will try and get the pics up soon, time is a factor though as I have 3 day old daughter at home right now :)))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts