The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a oil pressure sensor. Everything I've read on here suggests using a t-block in the engine is a bad idea as some have had them break due to vibration.

I found this remote t-block with the correct 1/8 BSPT engine fitting and 1/8 NPT on the T-block. I can use an 1/8NPT to 1/8BSPT adapter to reinstall the OEM pressure switch and my new pressure sensor is 1/8 NPT.

What I haven't figured out yet is where does everyone mount these and how? Can I just drill and rivet the firewall? Pictures would be great if anyone has done this.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which length hose did you get?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 50cm version. Note: I mounted the T on the pan as this was as far as the wire loom for the factory sensor would stretch without putting the wires under tension. The firewall would be good but I didn't want to extend the wire loom.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
An Autometer Tech suggested that the remote mounted oil pressure sensor can be held in placed with a conduit clamp. I picked up a #3 clamp (perfect size) at Lowe's (around $1.50). I am remote mounting my oil sensor, too, and will look for a pre-drilled hole to attach the base of the clamp to. I'll use a rubber pad under the clamp for vibration dampening.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Another (different) take on oil temp/press gauges

I wanted to have gauges that read oil pressure and temp but didn't want the center console mounting arrangement commonly used. Sight line to the meters is not good. I had installed these gauges on the dash in my previous 914 and thought to do the same thing with the Elise. The photo shows the result. (I like the idea of a clock in plain view so I added it.) The gauges and housings are Auto Meter.

I swapped out the oem oil pan with a gPan from inoKinetic. It has as an additional plug so I could connect the temp sensor to the pan instead of tapping off the sandwich plate.

The oem sandwich plate has an unused port fitted with a nipple. It can be removed and used as a take off point for sensors, obviating the need to install and additional sandwich plate. (I’m sure someone will tell me why this is not a good thing to do.) I used this port for the pressure sensor and bolted the transducer to the firewall below the ECU so it won’t hang off the plate. The temp sensor came off the gPan port. After an autox day oil temp got up to 195 F.

Pan and sensor installs were pretty straightforward, but getting the wiring from the engine into and up out the dash was a bear!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lotusmotion, That's correct. It is the air bleed nipple port. it’s working just fine.
Noel

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally got mine installed and mounted. Just need to do the wiring now.

Made a how to guide as well for those thinking about doing this.

Attachments

·
Funhs45
1 Posts
Noelsmith... For your oil pressure sensor, has the air bleed nipple port continued to work well for you? Is that a 1/8NPT thread? Which parts/connectors were used to make this connection to the sender? Thanks, Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts