The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I start to get more serious about safety at the track (I'll be putting in my six point harness as soon as I can find a seat that I actually fit in), I have become increasing concerned about spinal cord injuries. As soon as I get that elusive seat, I will be getting a HANS device. Getting in a frontal collision doesn't concern me as much as spinning out, catching an edge, and rolling the car at my track. My concern is that my neck could snap to the side. A HANS does not protect against that. So I created a removable halo out of CNC brackets, EMT tubing, and carbon fiber. I think that this is really a great idea for someone that wants to cover all of their bases when it comes to safety. If you look at any large racing league, they use halos to protect the drivers against side impact. I also created a halo in pure bent EMT without the carbon fiber but with dual tubes of EMT on each side. I'm just trying to decide which one I like better. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the posts which attach the brackets to the halo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...no problems obscuring your peripheral vision?..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...no problems obscuring your peripheral vision?..
Not one bit with a helmet on. That's why I made it removable. At the end of the day for the drive home, you can take it off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks really well done, excellent job.

PM Sent

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I think that's an awesome idea.

My first reaction was that EMT, especially already bent EMT, would just un-bend under the loads encounter if your noggin hits it with 20 Gs. But then I actually thought about it and I don't think it will. It would be a momentary force and it has a pretty short lever arm from the bend, so I think it would do just fine.

Good work!

xtn

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that's an awesome idea.

My first reaction was that EMT, especially already bent EMT, would just un-bend under the loads encounter if your noggin hits it with 20 Gs. But then I actually thought about it and I don't think it will. It would be a momentary force and it has a pretty short lever arm from the bend, so I think it would do just fine.

Good work!

xtn
XTN-That was exactly my thought process. That's why I tried out a dual row EMT design. Another advantage to this is that you get a little more visibility between the bars, but since you have a helmet on, this added visibility isn't really needed. I'll post the dual EMT design once I get it back from the powdercoater for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Chotto,
I am glad to see you thinking about this kind of stuff.
my best freind was injured last year , snapped thier neck, and is now a quadraplegic. trust me, if this type of injury can be prevented, its worth doing so.

that said, my reaction is this;
since the lotus seat doesnt really have much/any lateral support to it(IIRC), the bracket which has excellent intention might end up doing the same/more damage, than having not used it.
I say this because if your body moves laterally with great force, and your head hits this Halo, you may end up doing a great deal of damage to your neck that might not have happened with out the halo.
I feel my halo seat is only going to be effective because of the large amount of lateral supprt offered to my body by the seat.
I have read of the potential of right side head nets that were not properly installed actually potentially harming the driver rather than helping them because of the ability for the body to move laterally, while the head was secured upright(i think it was on the SM forum).

I have the sparco circuit pro seat(rather than a head net), that has the halo in my 944. I absolutely love the seat, and used with my HANS it fells pretty secure: BUT the seat has tons of lateral body support which the stock seat in your picture does not have.

I am only sharing my impressions of the set up shown in the picture. if it were me, i would just wait until i had the correct seat set up before i went back on the track.
its an investment in yourself, and i already know that you know its worth doing.

perhaps the circuit pro can be made to fit your car with a bit of trimming?
I would contact kurt at hypersports and see what he can do for you.
its something that needs to be addressed in the cars as it seems more of them may be used in competitve racing, and the halo seat with the HANS is max protection from the way it feels in my car.

Josh

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
+1

I have also heard the Sparco add-on halo snaps in accidents, yours seems reinforced which is a great thing. But yeah, get a better seat that you can use with that halo or like Fishguy says a halo seat. Rob was selling Circuit Pro that fit the car so they definitely can be put in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so here is mine. Any assessment of this is purely speculative, but knowledge of the biomechanical mechanisms of cervical spinal cord injury would speak against this being worse than not using it. Lateral loading spinal cord injuries are extremely uncommon, and inherently have a distraction based mechanism, which this should impede, regardless if the seat is not that supportive or the device fails. It seems that the OP clearly intends to include a better seat in the future, and it would be hard to argue against that.

In the meantime - this looks well thought out and well executed. I say :clap:

but then again, who really cares.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
+1

I have also heard the Sparco add-on halo snaps in accidents, yours seems reinforced which is a great thing. But yeah, get a better seat that you can use with that halo or like Fishguy says a halo seat. Rob was selling Circuit Pro that fit the car so they definitely can be put in.
If it snaps that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't done its job. Doesn't mean it HAS done its job, but doesn't mean it hasn't either. How much of your head's momentum was absorbed before it snapped?

xtn

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
kaz;1233029 Rob was selling Circuit Pro that fit the car so they definitely can be put in.[/QUOTE said:
the circuit pro seat is gigantic, I can only get in/out of my seat in my 944 with a removable steering wheel. w/o the removable wheel it was really difficult to get in/out of the car. the interior of my 944 is much more roomy than a lotus IIRC.
that said, since this particular seat does in fact fit the lotus, then it would be a great choice used with a HANS device.
I would imagine that either the seat or the car would need a bit of moddification for it to fit, but it would be well worth the effort to do so.
its a great seat, which is why i chose it for my usage.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely understand the issue with the stock seat. I do hope to get rid of my stock seat as soon as possible. I just haven't been able to fit in anything that I've seen yet (I'm 6'1, 235 pounds, with a 34" waist and 50" chest). I'm going to try out Scott Bowman's Tillett seat very soon. The plan would be to use this seat with my 6 point harness and the halo and HANS. I would think that at that point, I would have all of my bases covered.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
chotto, I am a bit samller than you it sounds like. 6 feet, 36 waist, and about 200lbs.
the only way that the sparco circuit pro was a good fit for me was to remove the bottom seat pad; with it being used, i was to high up, and the shoulders of the seat were crowding my arms and it is not usable safely.
w/o the bottom seat pad, its a great fit.
you could also remove other padding in the seat to make it slightly wider i would think.
the other advantage of running w/o the lower padding is that you ride lower in the seat for roof clearance issues, and also give a lower CG overall.
i also had to really make sure to get the angle of the seat inlcined correctly to work with my HANS.

I would find out from rob or cory1000 what needs to be done(if anything) to make that seat fit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really want something that is removable so that on the way home, I can take it off and it won't obstruct my peripheral vision. That is why I am shying away from the Sparco seat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm looking at seats with Halo's alot right now. (I'm also in the 6'0", 245lb range). Sparco seat with the halo was too short for me. Recaro makes a seat with a halo in a XL size that fit well, but is $1700. Kirkey has lots of sizes to their full containment seats, but they are al and need to be braced in all sorts of places, so I rules that out. Still want to sit in a Cobra Evolution XL which looks to have good side visibility and is only $999.

Personally, I'm a bit too nervous about the safety issues to go with a home built solution on any safety equipment. Comments about lateral support requirements with the use of a halo "sounds" right to me, but more so just reminds me that I don't want to be in the safety engineering game b/c I'm so un-informed.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
steidley,
remember, you get what you pay for, the recaro should be a nice seat, and a great investment in safety.

chotto,
just curious, since you are concerned about safety, are you using that stock elise seat shown in the 1st picture with a 6 point harness?
I think your idea of a halo is a good idea, but it is not congruent with using that stock seat and a 6 point harness.
all of the single items on the safety set up work together in unison.
the first thing to go needs to be that stock seat, and not trying to buy time and build a "safety platform" around it.
you are not that much bigger than i am, i bet that with a harness tightened up that you would fit into the sparco circuit pro w/o the padding just fine.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fishguy-I'm not using anything yet. This is my plan. Step 1: Find a seat. Step 2: Install 6 point harness. Step 3: Adjust seat for proper harness strap angle.Step 4: Add Halo. Step 5: Use HANS. Step 6: Have fun and feel safe at the same time.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Personally, I'm a bit too nervous about the safety issues to go with a home built solution on any safety equipment. Comments about lateral support requirements with the use of a halo "sounds" right to me, but more so just reminds me that I don't want to be in the safety engineering game b/c I'm so un-informed.
I understand your concern, however, I'm an automotive engineer with almost 15 years experience and a doctoral degree. I'm pretty confident in my solution, but I would always look at someone's work with a critical eye as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts