The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a removable rear window. Is anyone interested? Dont have a price yet, but I would think it would be somewhere between 300 and 400 dollars.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What would the benefits be, besides reduced weight?

How would this install? If it could replace a cracked or broken rear, I could see a decent market for it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm interested. I'm curious about the wind flow pattern without a rear window. Would it be plexiglas? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I'm curious about the wind flow pattern without a rear window.
I would think it would be like the Honda del Sol. I've only driven one a few times but with the top off, when the rear window was up = lots of wind noise, when the rear window was down = minimal wind noise.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would think it would be like the Honda del Sol. I've only driven one a few times but with the top off, when the rear window was up = lots of wind noise, when the rear window was down = minimal wind noise.
Huh. I would have guessed the exact opposite. Without the window, I would expect more wind noise and engine noise.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Huh. I would have guessed the exact opposite. Without the window, I would expect more wind noise and engine noise.
I was surprised also. I think it just got rid of the turbulence of the wind and allowed for nice laminar flow escape through the back window. The del Sol is a front engined car, so no change in engine noise.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Wasn't the rear window removable in the original Elise? If so, might be good to get commentary on windflow from an owner.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Easy to take out?? I'd love to have it roll down like the Del Sol or going way back to the mid 60's Merc Montclair. Are you thinking plexiglas or real glass? Heck of an idea!:popcorn:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wasn't the rear window removable in the original Elise? If so, might be good to get commentary on windflow from an owner.
On s1's, the cabin is a negative pressure area and exhaust fumes are pulled in. So much so that years ago I remember someone had their rear window out at a track day and they upchucked into their helmet. Fed cars may have entirely different characteristics, but I'd try it first.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm interested and have been thinking about this from a weight and aero standpoint for a while now.
I owned a delSol for 12 years and having the rear window down made a huge reduction in the turbulance in the cabin, I can't help but think that the same would apply in the Elise.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This is a really bad idea. You should talk to some Lotus engineers first. Be prepared to experience what Lotusmark said plus added heat from the engine bay. You might want a heat shield incorporated into the back of your head.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt very much that the Lotus guys would talk about this...liability and all.

I have those thoughts about fumes and heat in my head and would want to try it out before I contract for the manufacturing.

Let you know. If anyone has had a blown out rear window and drove the car with it this way...please email me off list your experiences.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've talked to some of the Lotus engineers about this while spending time on Potash Lane. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My mother had a rear engine Chevy Corvair convertible and she sold it since the exhaust gas from the engine came thru the heater vent below the rear seats and started causing people to get sick.

Also back in the late 70's most station wagons said not to drive with the rear window down because of exhaust fumes.

I would see if a carbon monoxide dectector could be installed when testing this on an Elise to see if any of the fumes are getting sucked back into the passenger area. The only other current rear/mid engine convertibles I can think of are Porsche's and some Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

I havent seen a a Fiat x 1/9, Porche 914, or similar targa roof design like ours that had a removable rear window, exceptt for the late 60's 911 Targas that had a removable rear window, so maybe the design of a targa causes the exhuast gas to get sucked back in if no rear window is present..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My mother had a rear engine Chevy Corvair convertible and she sold it since the exhaust gas from the engine came thru the heater vent below the rear seats and started causing people to get sick.

Also back in the late 70's most station wagons said not to drive with the rear window down because of exhaust fumes.

I would see if a carbon monoxide dectector could be installed when testing this on an Elise to see if any of the fumes are getting sucked back into the passenger area. The only other current rear/mid engine convertibles I can think of are Porsche's and some Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

I havent seen a a Fiat x 1/9, Porche 914, or similar targa roof design like ours that had a removable rear window, exceptt for the late 60's 911 Targas that had a removable rear window, so maybe the design of a targa causes the exhuast gas to get sucked back in if no rear window is present..
I had a del sol for ten years and never had a problem with exhaust in the cabin.. I dont think anecdotal evidence alone is enough to assume that exhaust will be a problem. The heat issue is what would need to be looked at: someone needs to take temperature readings at the back window after running the vehicle for a bit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

I think they said not to drive with JUST the rear window down. Most SUV's with rear flip-up glass say the same thing in the manual.

If you're just missing the rear window, you'll suck in exhaust, but if you're missing the rear window and have the windows down (and top in our case), then you should be fine.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sure top on, windows up, gonna suck something from the rear, fumes and/or heat.

I don't think anybody with half a brain would assume anything different.

We're talking having the rear window out with the top off...

Let's get real here.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had an S1, and kept the rear window in the garage most of the time. Wind noise was no biggie, the engine heat rolled in keeping you very warm; that was great in the Winter. Top off and windows open it was no big deal.

I never had an issue with fumes even with the windows and top in the up position. But I could see that at slower speeds (in town driving) and for long periods it might be an issue.

With all the glass down/out and the top off it felt more like a full convertible; despite the blind spots.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts