The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a car that had an aftermarket hub available to facilitate a removable steering wheel, so I've never really looked into the 'mechanics' of one.

Is there a high possibility of having a hub available soon after the car is released?

Also, what do you do about the airbag sensors & wiring? I've seen installations where people would remove their airbag, only to have the airbag light stay on constantly.

just curious....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
AFAIK you can't keep the airbag and get a removable steering wheel at the same time. Disconnecting and re-connecting the airbag always has a (very, very small) risk that the bag will deploy/detonate.

You can, however, install a normal steering wheel and plug in a 'dummy load' resistor on the airbag connector and this will keep the SRS system computer happy.

Such a dummy is usually used to test the SRS system in the workshop and fools it into thinking the airbag is still in place.

You may want to check your insurance though if they will allow such a change and still pay if you get into an accident..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Arno is right about the 'dummy' wiring

Aside from insurance, you may have a hard time finding a shop to do it due to liability concerns (I've looked into it myself for a Porsche -- initially my usual shop had people signing waivers, but now won't remove airbags at all)

May have to do the work yourself and take your chances with warranty issues

I will probably do this as I hate the look of the wheel on the spy shots. I want my wheel 'naked'

:eek:

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
Another benefit of a removeable wheel would be ease of entry/exit. Plus maybe theft prevention? :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just don't misplace your steering wheel. Man, that can be annoying. . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just don't misplace your steering wheel. Man, that can be annoying. . . .
Yeah, but not half as annoying as walking into town to collect the car you left there the night before after a few beers to realise, as you approach the car, that the steering wheel is on the dining room table.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
A removable steering wheel option is listed in the 2001 Elise brochure under
the heading 'Track Options', as are 'performance enhancement sports exhaust' and ' cat bypass'.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a Sparco removable steering. Only remove it for security. It's easier to get out of the elise with the steering wheel in place. Cos you hold onto it.

Cannot imagine they will produce a removable steering wheel for the US version because of the airbag. Afterall, is'nt that an illegal modification? And if you crash, you could then sue the person who removed the airbag.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm going to remove mine myself. Hopefully I won't sue myself later, but then, this is America, it could happen.

I feel pretty comfortable about removing the airbag. I've seen the pics of wrecked elises, and noticed the lack of damage in the passenger compartment. Plus, I occasionally wonder if it won't be worse to have an airbag jam my glasses into my face. I stopped to assist with a wreck a few years ago, and the woman had cuts all around her eyes from her glasses being smashed by her airbag. From the way things looked, she probably wasn't in much danger of hitting the wheel, because she was tall and her leg length kept her back from the wheel sufficiently. My height spaces me a bit from the wheel, too.

I will probably put in a sparco or momo wheel and make it detachable.

Cade

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
brookester said:
If I removed the airbag I would definately install racing harnesses.
To be safe in frontal impacts, you will also need to replace your seats with ones that have slots for the shoulder straps. Without the slots, the shoulder straps will be wrapped around the seatback and in an impact, can slip to the side allowing you to go straight forward with just lap belt protection.

Also, those racing harnesses will restrict your ability to turn enough to look out the back window, making backing up hazardous.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Racing harnesses absolutely suck on a daily driver, had em on my Caterham, what a pain!

They do give you the very good excuse to have to help the lovely with her belts though, 'specially the submarine belt
Chris
:p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts