The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather here in Northwest Florida is now in the high 80s. So I removed the engine cover to see if the engine would run cooler. I saw a significant decrease in the temperature. Doesn't look as neat. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Premium Member
6,483 Posts
???define significant with numbers please. I don't even bother pulling it at the track. Its just a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't get back to you. Been away. No numbers,but instead of the indicator light 1/2 up the scale, it's about a 1/3. Will still go up from there when at a light, but comes down quickly as soon as you start moving.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Be careful, I heard somewhere that the engine cover protects the rear glass from direct engine heat, and without it, the glass can crack.

·
Premium Member
6,483 Posts
???????????

·
Illegal Alien
4,745 Posts
Be careful, I heard somewhere that the engine cover protects the rear glass from direct engine heat, and without it, the glass can crack.
Heard where, mine hasn't cracked after 3 years and it doesn't make sense as stock cover isn't insulated and airtight.

Attachments

·
Banned
366 Posts
Heard where, mine hasn't cracked after 3 years and it doesn't make sense as stock cover isn't insulated and airtight.
On here somewhere if I'm not mistaken. It could just be one person's assumption repeated by me, but I thought it was worth mention nonetheless. It doesn't have to be airtight to block direct heat, most heat shields aren't.

...that being said, your setup looks like it has heat shields, at least one over the forward bank.

·
Illegal Alien
4,745 Posts
On here somewhere if I'm not mistaken. It could just be one person's assumption repeated by me, but I thought it was worth mention nonetheless. It doesn't have to be airtight to block direct heat, most heat shields aren't.

...that being said, your setup looks like it has heat shields, at least one over the forward bank.
That thing doesn't block the heat rising, rather small, open all around and stand up off block a few inches. Only a visual cover.

·
Premium Member
6,483 Posts
If Lotus did the pretty work Julian did, I'd throw the cover away too!!! Maybe when I bolt up a bigger SC someday. I'll do the work in advance!!!

·
694 Posts
My modified engine bay was a high point when my car got the 2nd place award at a recent british car show.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
694 Posts
Hello,
Was this a factory "S" car?
If you're referring to the pic above your post, yes.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts