The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snapped off one of the gearbox fixing bolts - F#%&#&k. I bought a good quality bolt extractor - the largest one for the bolt diameter and now that's snapped off inside the bolt.

I think my only option is to try to remove the bolt extractor and drill out the bolt with increasing diameter drill bits until I'm close to the threads.

Any other ideas that may be easier and faster?

How it looks -

-Broken Bolt and Broken extractor inside bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
ouch

You have a good plan. Maybe heli-coil afterwords.

The extractor might be hard to drill, maybe beat on it with hammer and punch.

Taps and extractors tend to be brittle as you probably know.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
break out the extractor with a hammer and punch and try a set of snap-on extractors they seem to be very strong. I have also had luck with welding a nut to the broken off bolt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it were I, I'd heat the bolt (and extractor) with a pin flame from an acetylene torch - heat only the bolt directly, let the housing heat by convection only. When the bolt is hot enough to boil oil, keep applying a good grade of penetrating oil to the threads as the bolt and housing cool. Do not use an oil containing graphite or fluorocarbon (Teflon®) based lubricant. When the bolt is cool try using a hammer and chisel to drive the bolt out with tangential blows - mind the gasket surface. When the bolt has been backed out far enough to grab it with vise-grips, do so and finish the removal.

A.J.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Keep in mind that you cant drill the bolt extractor. Pull that out first.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've had a lot of success doing the following: Heat the casing (ie: NOT the bolt) with MAPP or Propane or similar until it's as hot as it's going to get. Now apply an ice cube(s) to the bolt itself. Before the bolt can heat back up, attempt to remove the bolt.

The theory is, the case will be expanded by heating it and the bolt should be contracted (or suffer far less expansion) by cooling it. I've used this in quite a few situations and it has always worked so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts