The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the dead pedal yet?

There's great leg room underneath it, but my foot tends to get tangled up in it. It looks like it may just be held in place with double-sided tape, but I can't be sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I like it just as it is, I use it every time I drive the Elise.

Are you very tall?

You may want to try sitting a bit further back.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i'm 6'2 and find the dead pedal to be perfect. I'm not sure why you would want to remove it unless you are super tall, in which case i would think the dead pedal would be the least of your problems.

In any case, i assume it is just a matter of some bolts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The DEAD pedal??? I'm thinking of removing the BRAKE pedal!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm "super tall" at 6'5".

The least of my problems? Well, it's actually #2 on my list behind figuring out how to widen the seat cushion. My hip bones sit on top of the vertical sides of the seat -- ouch. If I fold up a towel and put it on the seat, it raises me above the vertical sides, solving that problem, but then I'm really too high for forward visibility. (I've already removed the visors). I'm thinking of cutting off one of the vertical sides if I can't find a nice replacement seat.

#3 on my list is the huge rear mirror. I'd like one that is 50% as tall and 65% as wide, if I keep the current location. I'm also thinking about relocating it upwards.

So, I am going to remove the dead pedal. I don't see any bolts, but I do see a thick black thing between the dead pedal and the side, which I imagine may be some strong double-sided tape to hold it in place. I'm trying to find out if someone knows, before I do something that might, in retrospect, turn out to have been stupid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I think it may be riveted on but I am not 100% on that.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Choco...before you do the pedal and other stuff, work on the seat. Because that is throwing other stuff off. For example the mirror position and your proximity to the pedals. The seat seems to have a metal frame. You can check with a magnet I suppose. If you are lucky and they have steel side bars as I suspect, then you'll be able to bend them wider, with the cover still on them. It's done all the time on other cars. You'll be a lot more comfortable!! This will help your seating position too. Also, there appears to be room to move the seat further rearward, change the back angle, and the height off the floor. If you are the only one to be driving the car you could get rid of the sliders and solid mount it to the floor. This would also give you a lower position. Basically if you get the seat fit and position right like magic other things will be better for you in the car. HTH.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Choco a trick I learned with my Seven is to put my left foot behind the clutch pedal on long stretches it works well with the Elise also.
It allows me to stretch out my leg.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i'm 6'4" and that damn mirror is huge and in the way...and i've only driven the car twice:)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dead pedal is history

I removed the dead pedal yesterday and now there's LOTS of room for my left foot. I can extend my leg almost all the way flat. It feels great!

It was a minor pain to remove. It is held in place with two gobs of Betaseal, which I removed by making a cheese-cutter type tool from 0.032" safety wire and pulling it through the betaseal. I broke the wire several times, but finally I got all the way through. I removed the remaining betaseal with a single-edged razor. There's still some black color, which I need to figure out how to remove.

I recommend this for the long-legged Elise drivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts