The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 84 Esprit and the interior is pretty good except for the front headliner that piece you can see from the front of the car in the very top portion of the front windshield. Does someone know how to remove this so I can repair it? Has 2 phillips screw that are exposed, one on drivers one on passangers. Also looks like I will have to take down the centre clock/mirror piece, how does that come down?

Glenn

·
Registered
320 Posts
Been along time since I did mine, but Im pretty sure the side rails had to be removed first to allow the front rail to come free.

Removing the headliner is not a nice job as it was stuck to sheets of aluminium foil which was stuck to the underside of the fibreglass roof.

I always ment to ask a friend of mine who is a Lotus Engineer whether the headliner was glued in with the bare shell upside down when the car was being built, as spraying glue in that small cockpit and hoisting up the headliner material is a tricky job IMO.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
I always meant to ask a friend of mine who is a Lotus Engineer whether the headliner was glued in with the bare shell upside down when the car was being built, as spraying glue in that small cockpit and hoisting up the headliner material is a tricky job IMO.
rotfl SPRAYING the glue? :no:

I think Lotus only used contact cement from a glue-pot, brushed on. At least, that's what it looked like on my '88 when I replaced the headliner material on the upper trim. (All the glued carpet pieces appear to be stuck on the via same method.)

On cars with a removable roof panel like my '88, the header panel (which had the rearview mount bolted onto it) can be held in place with the two long Philips screws, then the cement can be brushed onto the area around the roof opening. Finally, the flap of material can be slapped into place. :UK: After the glue dries for 24 hours, excess material can be trimmed and the rubber seal can be replaced.

I don't know if my experience applies to Esprits WITHOUT the removable roof panel, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts