The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange request. I want to remove my rear seats & make my car into 2+0 with the cago space in the rear. I would want the correct replacement parts from Lotus to make it look finished. Would this be hard to do? I need to replace the sub once it cools down in TX so I am thinking this could be a fall project.
If I sold the car I would return it back to the 2+2. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Strange request. I want to remove my rear seats & make my car into 2+0 with the cago space in the rear. Would this be hard to do? I need to replace the sub once it cools down in TX so I am thinking this could be a fall project.
If I sold the car I would return it back to the 2+2. ;)
It is really easy to do. Cushions are velcro on and the back is held in place by four screws. Two at the bottom and one behind each head rest.

You could even use the big velcro bottom to attach your sub.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Okay, but how bad does it look after you take the cushion/back off? I'm interested in purchasing a 2+0 in the future, but what if I find a used one that's everything I want, but it's a 2+2? Can I just rip out the back seats somehow and still keep it looking classy back there?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I do prefer having the 2+2 for myself. I have utilized it quite a bit more than I had ever expected. It has a lot more functionality than my 911's backseat ever did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are looking to sell your +2 parts let me know. I think all the seat belt mounts are there to turn mine into a +2.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are looking to sell your +2 parts let me know. I think all the seat belt mounts are there to turn mine into a +2.
Unfortunately not. Although it's relatively easy to convert 2+2 to 2+0, to do it the other way round is a big big job, virtually impossible to be honest.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Good info. Thanks everyone. I know that a two seater is cheaper with insurance, but if I end up going with a new Evora, it'll cost me over a grand to get the 2+2 and then does anybody know how much the kit to convert to a 2+0 costs?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't really understand why anyone would want to convert to a 2+0. If you think you'll gain much more space you're mistaken, it's a nominal amount.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I don't really understand why anyone would want to convert to a 2+0. If you think you'll gain much more space you're mistaken, it's a nominal amount.
Well, it's more practical than you think, and I have considered it.

For people without kids, the rear seats are really just more cargo space. I have hauled many things in this car, and several items were very large and I could have certainly used the extra space. But equally important point is that some of the stuff I've stowed were exactly things I'd prefer to stow on my leather seats, such as odd shaped items with sharp corners that can scratch (also prolonged stowage of heavy items leave creases or dents in the nice finish of your seats, sometimes permanent) and food items such as take-home or take-out, and groceries that can spill (eggs, wet produce, etc).

I would build felt/carpeted panels to replace the seat pads but I just haven't found the time.

But if this is all about insurance, then I think it's a silly idea. Insurance would be no different on this particular car, at least where I live.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Although that might be a way to have a 2+0 and only pay a 2+2 insurance premium!
^Now your thinking. :

I rather not have the back seat. + Its just the wife & myself and we have a new BMW SUV & two other cars for passengers. I think the 2+2 is a great option for many but for me the 2.0 is what I want. I looked for a 2.0 but I could not find one & the dealer said the 2+2 has better resale value. Once converted to a 2.0 I will hold onto the rear seats so return it back to stock when I decide to sell.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Good to know that there really isn't much of a difference in space with the 2+0. To be 100 percent honest, the 2+2 would just bug the hell out of me. Follow along...... there's certain things I hold to be true in life (in my own anal-retentive mind):

- No true sports car should have backseats

- No true sports car should have an automatic transmission :shift:

- I will marry Jennifer Love Hewitt when she's single again (she just doesn't know it yet :evil:)

So you see, I just don't WANT back seats. Also, there's no kids involved in the equation, fwiw.

As for the insurance premium part of this, I'll just look into that when I'm ready to buy. If I go new, I'm sure it'll be a 2+0. If I end up going used, I might have to buy a 2+2, but it's REALLY good to know that Lotus makes a conversion kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts