The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rearview mirror removed, and i love it! I highly recommend it.

I always wanted to remove the sun visors, but i thought it would be a pain.

As it turns out you can just pull them off!

Now i have 100% view out the windshield.!

·
Registered
469 Posts
yipee!!!!! i never understood what the sunvisors were for, everytime i tried using it, i would still remain blind

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I removed mine about 5 minutes into my ownership. I then installed one of the little mirrors and even at 6'4" I have very good forward vision.

dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
Same here, I removed my visors before I drove mine off the lot. Just wiggle them while sliding toward the center of the car and off them come. I'm also 6'4" so this was a nice "mod".

·
Not the admin anymore
11,952 Posts
It's an amazng difference.....

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
You can unscrew the metal rods that held them too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just did this, it was so easy!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Having an s240 i also took the rear view mirror off, this really opens up the front view.

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cool - I just added some lightness. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Old thread but the info is still fresh. I removed my visors a couple of weeks ago to clean off the stickers. Goo gone, mineral spirits, and a fingernail brush cleaned em up pretty good. Decided today to remove them from the car entirely, along with the silver colored metal rods. I used the 8 mm end wrench with a small nail shim method mentioned by others. I had to actually tighten them a bit to help break them loose. They came out very hard..position wrench over end of rod, push little nail in between wrench and rod, carefully turn about 1/3 turn, repeat. A ratcheting 8 mm end wrench would really speed this up.

Anyway, this mod really cleaned up the windshield and helped with forward vision out of the cabin.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,100 Posts
Old thread but the info is still fresh. I removed my visors a couple of weeks ago to clean off the stickers. Goo gone, mineral spirits, and a fingernail brush cleaned em up pretty good. Decided today to remove them from the car entirely, along with the silver colored metal rods. I used the 8 mm end wrench with a small nail shim method mentioned by others. I had to actually tighten them a bit to help break them loose. They came out very hard..position wrench over end of rod, push little nail in between wrench and rod, carefully turn about 1/3 turn, repeat. A ratcheting 8 mm end wrench would really speed this up.

Anyway, this mod really cleaned up the windshield and helped with forward vision out of the cabin.
You were lucky. Some have actually cracked the windshield trying to remove the rods.

San

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts

I took mine off recently using the nail method, a deep socket 1/4" drive and a wobble extension. Easy peasy.

Sent from my Samsung GS7 using Tapatalk

·
2006 Exige
689 Posts
I took mine off recently using the nail method, a deep socket 1/4" drive and a wobble extension. Easy peasy.

Sent from my Samsung GS7 using Tapatalk
I might try this soon. Your method doesn't sound too dangerous to the glass. I was going to wait until the day I had to have my glass replaced, but I'd love to have those silver things out of there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I might try this soon. Your method doesn't sound too dangerous to the glass. I was going to wait until the day I had to have my glass replaced, but I'd love to have those silver things out of there.
TO REMOVE THE RODS WITHOUT A CHANCE OF BREAKING THE GLASS

Get a soldering iron and apply heat to the rod,hold it there for a few minutes,this will melt the adhesive **** lotus uses in the threads,then simply unscrew it ,you can thank me when you have done this method :wink2:
I also relocated my sunvisors and rods to the bin where they were more useful shortly followed by the rear vision mirror which is also useless on an Exige lol
If you still want a slight visor,do as i did and put a thin strip on the top of the front windshield as below

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
TO REMOVE THE RODS WITHOUT A CHANCE OF BREAKING THE GLASS

Get a soldering iron and apply heat to the rod,hold it there for a few minutes,this will melt the adhesive **** lotus uses in the threads,then simply unscrew it ,you can thank me when you have done this method :wink2:
I also relocated my sunvisors and rods to the bin where they were more useful shortly followed by the rear vision mirror which is also useless on an Exige lol
If you still want a slight visor,do as i did and put a thin strip on the top of the front windshield as below
What material did you use for the sunstrip? I'd like to do the same. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts