The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would imagine removing the roof on the exige s and higher powered models upsets the flow of air to the I/C, resulting in higher temps. In another thread I found through searching, the service manual didn't recommend driving without the roof in "high speed" applications.

To be clear, there should be no repercussions resulting in driving a supercharged exige without its roof on aside from less power due to faster heat soak, correct?

I was very happy to learn that the top could be removed on the exige :clap:. Now the deal is sealed just about...I hope to get an s shortly and apply a gotham tune to it. Coming from an STi, I am going to crave the power. :evil:

--edit--

I also just thought of something. In my sti, the i/c, which is a TMIC, gets airflow directly from the hood scoop, and it gets hit by debris accordingly. Do you guys think perhaps that for whatever reason, the I/C on the exige would be more vulnerable to damage? I'm not quite sure how...but I think that would be my only other concern..

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would imagine removing the roof on the exige s and higher powered models upsets the flow of air to the I/C, resulting in higher temps. In another thread I found through searching, the service manual didn't recommend driving without the roof in "high speed" applications.

To be clear, there should be no repercussions resulting in driving a supercharged exige without its roof on aside from less power due to faster heat soak, correct?

I was very happy to learn that the top could be removed on the exige :clap:. Now the deal is sealed just about...I hope to get an s shortly and apply a gotham tune to it. Coming from an STi, I am going to crave the power. :evil:

--edit--

I also just thought of something. In my sti, the i/c, which is a TMIC, gets airflow directly from the hood scoop, and it gets hit by debris accordingly. Do you guys think perhaps that for whatever reason, the I/C on the exige would be more vulnerable to damage? I'm not quite sure how...but I think that would be my only other concern..

Thanks!
I haven't had any problems removing the roof. Only time i noticed a loss of power was a on a really hot day. The ECU adjusts timing and fuel trims based on post IC air temps, so no damage just loss of power.

If the car still has warranty i would hold off on the Gotham. Thats an instant warranty void. Besides coming from an STi has nothing to do with what this car is capable of. It is an entirely different animal, sure straight line speed can be improved but that isn't the purpose of the car. Take it into the twisties and see how the car responds and speaks to you. IMHO its plenty of power still scares the **** out of me sometimes.

Just remember enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
take my roof off all the time. I dont do it on the track or anything. But casual drives and short twisty road trips never noticed a problem.

Also the IC doesnt get damage like the STI.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you are getting an Exige S and planning on going to the track then I don't think the roof will make much of a difference in cooling. Now aerodynamics maybe. But all the S's i've talked to on track all say heatsoak sets in before the second lap.

I ran my 06 exige one day on the track with the top off just to see. I didn't see much difference, but I was NA back then though. Now I'm SC, but since I went VF the IC is in the side vent vs on top of the motor.

Not really sure what you mean "Coming from an STi, I am going to crave the power", maybe on the street and straight line racing you will feel the loss. Other than that straight line accelleration difference doesn't amount to much if anything on the track. It's all entry/exit speed and how fast you can take the twisties. That is where the Lotus shines. I would probably rethink the purchase if you got it to be fast straight, even with a gotham...

Bottom line is if you are going to hit the track even an NA Lotus will be a blast out there.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i would think you would be better off running the charge cooler if you are that worried about top removal and driving.
I too am coming for the Subaru family, but am not as worried about the power of this car as you are- I've had light cars with 4 cyl motors in them before... you have to remember the Impreza is a heavy pig of a car to start.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey now.

Gentlemen,

Just because I drive an sti does not mean I am all about straight line performance :no:. My wrx before my sti was setup for track -- I value handling over power any day of the week, which is why I am going with a lotus! :thwack:

What I meant was that the sti obviously spoiled me with its power band, especially when modded. However, I haven't actually driven an exige yet, and power to weight ratio's look pretty similar....so I might be just fine without a gotham tune :).

Charlie -- Yea, I know, it upsets the entire car's aerodynamics. I wouldn't track it with the top off, (I don't think...;)) but I would certainly enjoy cruising around without it during the summer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take my roof off all the time. I dont do it on the track or anything. But casual drives and short twisty road trips never noticed a problem.

Also the IC doesnt get damage like the STI.
Awesome :). No bent fins for me :coolnana:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've actually measured airflow through the intercooler with both the roof on, and off. Essentially you get 20% less airflow with the roof off, but if you take out your Dremel and enlarge the opening in the clam (as long as you've got the roof off), you can get that 20% back (and it will of course be even better with the roof on).

Bottom line, you're not going to hurt anything by casually driving around with the roof off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts