The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed California smog for second try. I did replace spark plugs and used 20 gallons of gas with Chevron Techroline to clean everything.

HC Max allowed is 121. I hit 122.
CO max is .76. I hit .89.

The spark plug on cylinder 2 ( count 1 from back of driver) has rich plug ( black wet). Assuming bad injector.

Question. Do I have to remove Philips screw to remove injector? Diagram says I do but it’s stuck. Have penetrating lube on it but not hopeful.

Once removed I need to use the injector puller? L shaped metal with screwdriver slots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hi Eddie,
simple answer is yes, remove the screw and bracket then pull! But as there are two seals the penetrating fluid won’t reach the second O ring.i use a small 90 degree screwdriver on those that aren’t that tight, but on really stubborn ones I’ve wrapped a lot of strong tape around the threads and grabbed it with vice grips. The other problem is going to be finding them (typically it’s best to change all 4 with flow tested replacements) but they are now very tough to find. You can try getting them ultrasonically cleaned but I haven’t had much luck with that in the past.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[snip]. The other problem is going to be finding them (typically it’s best to change all 4 with flow tested replacements) but they are now very tough to find. You can try getting them ultrasonically cleaned but I haven’t had much luck with that in the past.
Hey Colin - I instinctively called JAE and asked if they had the grommets and injectors - Joe said yes and after 17 years, they have NEW injectors for my Bosch CIS 87 Esprit! I want to first try to clean this bad injector, but nice to know there is a NEW supply of injectors available - all it takes is money :)

RE removing injectors - my 76 Scirocco had a special tool - very primitive but effective, I have that tool SOMEWHERE after all these decades. The killer part - when I bought the Turbo Esprit in 2016, I saw a NEW in wrap exact tool in the box of extra parts. If it works like the Scirocco, you wedge this tool under the fuel injector, put a screwdriver into it, and leverage on something that won't crack. I haven't figure out how on an Esprit but my Scirocco had a steel valve cover and it worked perfectly to pry and leverage on it. The Esprit has no such strong area. Will have to fabricate a piece of wood to lay across the intake manifold and pry. Hope it's strong enough :)

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
There is a special injector puller tool, it's nice because it won't mark up your injectors. You can use a pair of bent needle nose and pry up to pop them out too, or just about anything. Like vice grips and a screw driver to pry against them.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,945 Posts
@S54Venture , how is your '87 running after this from a couple years ago?

I used a pair of 90 degree forceps to pull ours out, without issue.

FIC (Fuel Injection Corp linked in the Topic, above) will clean and test your injectors, and will even send you videos of the spray patterns!:cool:

Reactions: esprit888

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[snip]:
I contacted S54Venture in private message after the new format site has better search capability. He said his were just fine.

JAE has them now so I would likely go with them if I decide to just replace them all.

But my other three plugs look OK so it may be just one injector needing a cleaning.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts

I used a pair of 90 degree forceps to pull ours out, without issue.

FIC (Fuel Injection Corp linked in the Topic, above) will clean and test your injectors, and will even send you videos of the spray patterns!:cool:
I didn't know I never concluded that thread.
I ended up finding the guy from ebay parting out the esprit and he had a fuel distributor, I bought his and send it to Larry from CIS Flowtech to be rebuilt.
After getting it back, with the new injectors flow rates per injector were very close, and within the spec in the esprit service notes, but I did make a small adjustment to one of the injectors to get them even closer with my specific injectors.
I haven't had any issues running since all of that work.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hey Colin - I instinctively called JAE and asked if they had the grommets and injectors - Joe said yes and after 17 years, they have NEW injectors for my Bosch CIS 87 Esprit! I want to first try to clean this bad injector, but nice to know there is a NEW supply of injectors available - all it takes is money :)
Excellent, good to know a source is now out there as they were like trying to find rocking horse S*^t for a while!

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After using penetrating oil and an electric drill with fat Phillips blade ( to fit snug in screw head) the injector came out easily. Just wiggles and pulled. But now I can’t separate the injector from the line. Putting more penetrating oil but even with a vice grip ( smooth jaw on injector )and 14mm short box wrench, it won’t break free. Any other tricks to separate these?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've seen new Bosch injectors pop up on Ebay recently. It looks like someone is modifying them to work on the '86-'87 Esprits. Note that they require reusing a part from the old injectors so Eddie don't throw anything out before you get your new set (if you get a new set).

Here's the listing:

Bosch Injectors

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
I was removing the lines before pulling the injector. It made it easier since you're not holding the injector and trying to break the line loose at the same time.
I just used an open end 12mm wrench on the injector and a 14mm line wrench on the line side set up so I could put both hands on the wrenches and just squeeze tightly together to break them loose.
I remember them being pretty tight.
I believe I had to pull the turbo to plenum pipe to get good enough access to do all of them.
Here's a photo of how I would put the wrenches to do it on cylinder 4.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was removing the lines before pulling the injector. It made it easier since you're not holding the injector and trying to break the line loose at the same time.
I just used an open end 12mm wrench on the injector and a 14mm line wrench on the line side set up so I could put both hands on the wrenches and just squeeze tightly together to break them loose.
I remember them being pretty tight.
I believe I had to pull the turbo to plenum pipe to get good enough access to do all of them.
Here's a photo of how I would put the wrenches to do it on cylinder 4.
Yes - very tight and the sad part is my 12mm and 14mm wrenchs are stubbies - unfortunately my garage is disorganized and I can't find my regular box wrenches (they may be also at work garage in my other cars). I may have to break down and get the longer wrenches.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,945 Posts
with the new injectors flow rates per injector were very close, and within the spec in the esprit service notes, but I did make a small adjustment to one of the injectors to get them even closer with my specific injectors.
Assume this is at the Fuel Distributor. How did you measure the rate?

Asking, because I'm getting ready to replace the o-rings and diaphragm in ours...

Thx

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Assume this is at the Fuel Distributor. How did you measure the rate?

Asking, because I'm getting ready to replace the o-rings and diaphragm in ours...

Thx
There are little hex keys by the outlets for each injector for balancing the flow rates.
To measure the outputs you pull all 4 injectors with the lines still attached and stick them into separate containers.
Then you jump both fuel pump relays and press down the air flow meter paddle all the way. You're not measuring specific volumes with this test, you're just checking that they all put out a similar amount of fuel.
I just looked through the LD section of the service notes and can't find the acceptable range between them. I could be wrong, but I think it was something like +/-5%. Maybe I got my information from a kjet book instead of the service notes.
I tested them at all sorts of different air flow meter plate positions and I got the same results each time, so I think wide open is all you need to test at.

I think it's probably worth it to get the alignment tools for assembling the fuel distributor. It should make it a lot easier to sandwhich it back together straight with the plates and springs in place when you replace the diaphragm.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got the injector off. Some corrosion on the non sealing surfaces. Service manual does say how to remove the ‘hat’ without damaging it.
Any tips on how I should remove? Using those AC line decouples made of plastic? Or an easier solution available?
Update: I used S54Venture's suggestion and clamped down the injector and used a 10mm open box wrench and a heavy wooden stick to
poud the hat off slowly.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
I believe I took the o ring off and replaced it with a piece of metal wire, then I put the injector in a vice lightly and stuck an 11mm open end wrench over it and tapped it with a hammer to get it off.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,945 Posts
Isn't something missing out of the middle of that injector?

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mean at the business end of the injector?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,945 Posts
WHEW that's OK. The rust made me squint! o_O:rolleyes: Was the corroded injector easier to remove with the full-length wrenches you bought?

Are you going to pull 'em all? You should be done by the fourth of July... :)

Make sure the 'hats' are all the same in relation to the dimple. The hat on the far right, below, is incorrect. It looks a lot like the picture in post 16. Hmmm.

Reactions: LotusBloke
1 - 20 of 38 Posts