1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
removing carpet from an Esprit SUCKS... passenger side 1/3 removal done

that is all I have to say about that..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely.. Lotus must have used some 200 years in to the future NASA grade adhesive! Finally just started tearing it out then what was left used a heat gun on it to partially burn the fibers left then used a sharp putty type knife to scrape off.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No comparison, I too had a 928, 1989, which I replaced carpet. Very little of the carpet in them is even glued in, instead in many areas they used velcro.

Lotus used "unobtanium glue" it seems..

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,421 Posts
TRUST ME IS TOUGH WHAT EVER KIND OF ADHESIVE THE BRITTISH USE IS STRONG.
Why does it peel away in some areas, then? :mad: I just re-glued my carpet edges on the engine wall relay box cover....:panic:

PS, the boot floor is easy. two snaps. rotfl

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ya know Kenny, you could always do it the easy way.
Dynamite at 50 paces :)

Alan

·
Registered
913 Posts
I removed my entire carpet and used the old carpet as patterns to make new carpet, easy but time consuming. When you reinstall your carpet, order weldwood brand landau top and upholstery cement in a baby blue and white gallon can, I think it only comes in gallons. It is made by weldwood that makes the same contact cement they sell at Lowes and Home Depot, but it is NOT the same product, GOOD STUFF. A local upholstery guy tipped me to it. It took a whole gallon to redo my whole interior carpet and upholstery. Its strong too, you can stretch the **** out of upholstery and just stick it once this stuff tacks up. It holds like mad!

·
Banned
938 Posts
No comparison, I too had a 928, 1989, which I replaced carpet. Very little of the carpet in them is even glued in, instead in many areas they used velcro.

Lotus used "unobtanium glue" it seems..
Hi Kenny.
Never came across any Velco.
Where and what areas did you find them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.