The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ,

just a simple question (as simple is) but i need to be sure in order to avoid any damage .

I want to replace my ECU with an other one .
Is it recommended to disconect first the battery or not ?

Just removing 4 bolts and disconnect the 2 plugs or i need to do something else first ?

thanks
Haris

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a small pin on the bottom side of each plug that you need to push it carefully to release it from ECU .

To find that small pin in each plug probably it will be easier if you remove first the 4 bolts that are mount the ECU on the back panel .

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and another one question pls for experts .

Recently bought a spare ECU.
Today put it on my car just for curiosity .
But spare ECU do not start the car .

putted back the stock ECU and car starts normally .

is a matter of immobilizer ?

can i disconnect the immobilizer from the spare ECU ?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
whats the part number on the ecu ? it probably has the wrong flash on it for your car. i just replied to your email too.

disconnect the battery for safety, ground yourself to metal before touching the ecu, same for in and out.

immobiliser is seperate to the ecu.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Charlie for your prompt reply ,

spare ECU part type is : A121E0009F
and
part number is : 0520309002798

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
thats a federal with traction control single switching USA/Canada, '06 for an Elise.

If its a brand new ecu from Lotus sometimes they don't come with a base flash, is your car federal(usa) spec?

if it doesn't have a base flash, you'll need to install one, you'll need a compatible J2534 cable and the software from lotus which is on their tech/emissions page, make sure you only install a 121 flash though.

or with a Tech 3 tool

does it throw a code? check with an obd ii reader.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a federal with traction control single switching USA/Canada, '06 for an Elise.

If its a brand new ecu from Lotus sometimes they don't come with a base flash, is your car federal(usa) spec?

if it doesn't have a base flash, you'll need to install one, you'll need a compatible J2534 cable and the software from lotus which is on their tech/emissions page, make sure you only install a 121 flash though.

or with a Tech 3 tool

does it throw a code? check with an obd ii reader.
Yes my EXIGE is Federal (US spec) and the spare ECU is federal also bough it from Canada ..
it is not brand new but 2000 miles used.

If i send it to you can you reflash it (lower cam) and fix it for working directly -without immo- (as i explained you on my email) on the car ?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
repeating what i said in email for the benefit of others.

the immobiliser is a seperate system to the ecu, they don't communicate as is common with other cars, its a seperate unit behind the drivers seat in the cockpit, you have to remove the cover to get to it.

if its a used ecu and its not booting then there may be an issue with the ecu being damaged, unfortunately i have to open the case to get a new flash into it and check it out, opening the case loses any warranty on the ecu itself, and they're very difficult to repair.

Sometimes people send me used ecus without testing them, i get it, flash it and send it back and it doesn't work, since i reflash them on the bench i can't tell if its 100% functioning, only if its 100% dead, i have a couple that work fine on the bench but don't in the car, since its usually an input or output that the car uses that i don't need to reflash them, then of course the person who sent me the ecu says it should have been working, and i'm left swapping out one of my working ecus with their busted one with no real way of proving that it was DOA, which is why i have a bunch of dead ecu's.

I can reflash it, but if its not working and its a hardware issue, it still won't work when you get it back.

Make sure the pins aren't bent either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts