The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing out the oil filter sandwich plate and decided to change the center hardware with MWR parts. Going OK till I went to remove the last piece with a 30mm 6pt socket. I can not break it loose. Only have about 3-4 mm of engagement with the socket (I ground off all the lead). I'm doing this from under the lying on my back. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
If i remember correctly, that last inner bolt required what felt like an unreasonable amount of torque to remove. So much so that I had to get help. I recommend an extension bar on the socket wrench, but I'm not sure how much this helps if the head was ground off. I've seen videos of welding a new bolt on to connect a good stud to broken off bolts.

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
Haven't you always wanted a compressor and air tools??

Now is the time, perhaps.

What do you mean "I ground off all the lead"??

---

A garage nearby can get it loose, then tighten it enough for you to get home???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't you always wanted a compressor and air tools??

Now is the time, perhaps.

What do you mean "I ground off all the lead"??

I ground off the chamfer on the socket to get the most engagement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think I used an extension on a 1/2" drive wrench so I could get the wrench down by my chest and get a good amount of torque on it. Make sure you're going in the right direction. You could also use a breaker bar for more leverage. The hex on that adapter is pretty thin so grinding down the socket was a good idea.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
I'll second glb's take on this. An impact wrench can apply torque in a way that brute breaker bar force cannot.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Use an impact. Get this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Mid-Torque-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-W-Pin-Detent-Kit-W-2-5-0Ah-Batteries-2860-22/300955555?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D25T|25-9_PORTABLE+POWER|MILWAUKEE|PLA|71700000033495814|58700003900591528|92700031308357797&gclid=CjwKCAjwm4rqBRBUEiwAwaWjjNhfMaq1ug8W912v_qom1WnxJwRyM1Wil81goc8ok_8u0oFp0s22IBoCZd4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buy once cry once!

Be careful with the impact...the insert is steel into aluminum. I would heat up before you go breaking things.

I used a celica 2zz filter adapter on mine. $15 at toyota dealer. i removed the oil cooler crap and never looked back. Temps are perfect. May add small setrab later.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success, I forgot I had 1/2 impact air tool (moved 4 or 5 times since using it). It was off in less than 5 seconds. Every thing back together. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
Good for you, but now we're worried about your memory......

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
I'm only 72.

What were we talking about??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts