The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some tar/debris on the starshield that hasn't come out in a few washes now, can you clay over the starshield? What's the best way to take the goods out of the clear?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've lightly used magic eraser with turtle wax bug/tar remover.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've got some tar/debris on the starshield that hasn't come out in a few washes now, can you clay over the starshield? What's the best way to take the goods out of the clear?
I have used 3M rubbing compound (fine cut or similar) to take tar off of mine. You do not need to use much and don't rub too hard.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've used clay bar on the starshield and it works fine. Just be careful not to allow the SS seam to slice the bar, as pieces of clay will get stuck in the seam and are really tough to get out. You can use thin blue tape across the SS seam to prevent this.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adams clear polish is great on starsheild.
I've used Adam's stuff before like their metal polish and their stuff is top notch. Maybe I'll pick some of this up.

Thanks for the tips guys I'm getting tired of a clean black car w/ dirty areas!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've used Adam's stuff before like their metal polish and their stuff is top notch. Maybe I'll pick some of this up.

Thanks for the tips guys I'm getting tired of a clean black car w/ dirty areas!
i got tired of it too,,, the SS was actually the dirtiest part of the car, so I replaced it with a much better product: Clearshield, which I wax altho u dont have to. You dont even know its there... def worth the money to replace it with Clearshield.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Depending on what your gunk is, lots of things could fix it. Claying certainly won't hurt. Other things like tar/bug remover or even a coat of wax (with proper prep work) will likely work; it all depends on the nature of the gunk.

My chemistry days remind me that in general 'like dissolves like' (polar dissolves polar and nonpolar dissolves nonpolar - water is polar, just so you know), so govern yourself accordingly. And make sure that you rewax the portion in question after it's removed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna try some clay first now that I know it's safe.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I used clay with no issues, but for stubborn stuff, I used MEK or Bestine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Wow really rubber cement thinner?!?

Yes. Works great. Back in the day I used to work with the stuff a lot (and MEK) for cleaning plastics without causing damage. A great solvent for some things and very benign for others. You have to test before you go splashing it on.

But I have tested it on Starshield. Also tested many other products and chemicals. It works great and causes no harm. Saves elbow grease.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. Works great. Back in the day I used to work with the stuff a lot (and MEK) for cleaning plastics without causing damage. A great solvent for some things and very benign for others. You have to test before you go splashing it on.

But I have tested it on Starshield. Also tested many other products and chemicals. It works great and causes no harm. Saves elbow grease.
Looks like I'll keep some Bestine on hand as well, thanks for the tip Randy!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got gunk under the starshield after like 2 weeks of rain with a car cover on. Water like wicked under and then mildewed. Had to remove the starshield to get rid of it. Hope thats not your issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got gunk under the starshield after like 2 weeks of rain with a car cover on. Water like wicked under and then mildewed. Had to remove the starshield to get rid of it. Hope thats not your issue.
Luckily no, just some left over insects and some road grime.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
anyone know if acetone works and is safe for starshield?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Just took my car to the car wash, and there is a thin film of something appearing like wax that is on the star shield that can only be seen when the sun light hits it....we couldn't seem to get it off - even with wax....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I used WD-40 to remove the rubber gunk and marks from the last track day, which were all over starshield, near the rear wheels. With a little elbow grease and a liberal spray of WD-40, all the rubber marks were removed! I just cleaned and spraywaxed afterward, shiny and new again. I have numerous applications for WD-40, including removing hard water stain on stainless steel appliances better than SS cleaner!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts