The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Usually just take off the wheels and wheel wells. If you're doing turn signals, then you can pop them off from the outside, but then they may pop out easier on bumps... so go in through the wheel well.

Once you're in, its just a matter of unscrewing and the assembly will come off.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,983 Posts
I usually do it without taking the wheels off because you can just turn the wheel out of the way.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Easy. Just be GENTLE. Don't torque them down hard at all when you reassemble or else you will snap the crappy tabs. You don't have to take off the wheels but it makes it easier. You can turn the steering wheel to lock it on both sides to get to the bolts. Take the liner off. It's a few plastic screws on the bottom and metal ones on top. Once that comes off, a few screws hold the headlight to the bucket. Take those off and then lens come off. Process is diff for 07'+ lights though.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
While there, replace the plastic screws with wellnuts.

·
V EQLS IR
332 Posts
I usually do it without taking the wheels off because you can just turn the wheel out of the way.
this depends on the wheels - unfortunately the LSS's are too wide, though YMMV depending on hand size :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just replace the plastic screws when I remove the liner. They are a 1 time thing. The plastic screws are a joke, but If you put a real metal screw there in its place, you are asking for a flat tire. Im sure that's the reason they are plastic in the first place.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,983 Posts
this depends on the wheels - unfortunately the LSS's are too wide, though YMMV depending on hand size :)
I have small hands. My front tires are 195's and I have quite a bit of room with the wheel turned all the way to the lock. If you are working on the driver side headlight, you need to turn the wheel all the way to the left.

·
Registered
424 Posts
"...but then they may pop out easier on bumps..."

Exactly....just wait for them to pop out, and it's an easy replacement via turning the wheel.

In that vein, I saw something on an E-Type site I'd not heard before...we all know the "look alike, feel alike" rocker switches on the dash. Some guy was criticizing Jaguar for this ergonomic sin, and the E-Type owner just said, "It doesn't matter, because no matter which one you click, they don't work."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts