The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading through the service manual about the procedure to remove/replace the rear clam but they don't provide how many hours it takes for each step. It sounds pretty basic but I was hoping that someone that has actually done this before to install a supercharger or whatever can give some insight as to how long it actually takes and if there are any tricky points.

Is it a 2 hour off, 2 hour on job or 3 on 3 off etc?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad the summary I got from the service guide is basically.

1. Remove the seats, take out all the plastic trim behind them
2. Unbolt the clam from the cabin, take off body colored trim piece, unbolt trunk lid
3. Do you have to take out the intake air box and fuel filler neck or is that just to take the side plastic sills out of it?
4. Unbolt the bolts in the trunk floor and loosen windshield wiper bottle.

Anything major that I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to remove the seats!
Mind posting or PM'ing me a write up for what's needed and not needed? I really dislike working off factory service manuals as they are quite vague sometimes.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Very brief summary (from memory): Move driver seat forward, unhook speaker wires, remove plastic housing covering rear wall. Using a long socket extension remove bolts from passenger and drivers side. Remove Hard or Soft top to access fixing bolts that secure roll bars cover.

Remove rear wheels and liners (plastic doohickeys). Unbolt clam fasteners.

Remove four bolts from luggage compartment.

Remove rear diffuser panel.

Unhook elect. connections (rear lights)

Unbolt hinge, engine lid

Lift clam and remove!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I tried taking the plastic out out from behind the seats and there was not enough room. I took my seats out.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You dont have to take off the filter box or the filler neck. (but you do have to take the filler door off). I took the filter box out to have more room.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it sounds like if you know what you're doing it should be an hour job tops to unbolt everything and just pull it off. Is it hard lining it back up when it's ready to go back on? I was able to install the speakers without removing the seats when most people said you had to. I'm pretty skinny so I can fit my arms in there pretty easily.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I wish sandsmuseum had a writeup for the rear clam with pictures like their front clam removal.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again, the search functino comes in handy.

This is a previous thread about removing the rear clam: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51971&highlight=service+manual

Pay particular attention to Randy's comments in post 12 where he adds actual information from having done the work.
Thanks, it didn't occur to me to try the maintenance section. I didn't get much under general discussion even with rear clam removal or rear clam as the title only search.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
this would be a good time to desnorkel the intake. :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Stan quality ;)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Akandok, you wouldn't happen to have a picture by picture write up on this procedure would you? It must be nice to build the car up from the ground so repairs are easy in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts