The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace the rear deck lid louvers on gungodess's Elise with screen. Bought a decent used set from another LT member, repainted them and they look nice.

Just put in a Gpan3 yesterday and doing the first oil fill tonight so looking at the louvers pondering the universe. Anyone have any insight on how they come off?

Rear ones seem to have some perplexing rivets or screws and the front is glued in. Fwd ones seem to be glued in on both ends.

Any help with getting these off?

Anyone that has the screens installed please send pictures of how they are attached. I was sent a bag of hardware but am confused.

Thanks..............

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Going to replace the rear deck lid louvers on gungodess's Elise with screen. Bought a decent used set from another LT member, repainted them and they look nice.

Just put in a Gpan3 yesterday and doing the first oil fill tonight so looking at the louvers pondering the universe. Anyone have any insight on how they come off?

Rear ones seem to have some perplexing rivets or screws and the front is glued in. Fwd ones seem to be glued in on both ends.

Any help with getting these off?

Anyone that has the screens installed please send pictures of how they are attached. I was sent a bag of hardware but am confused.

Thanks..............
As I recall the 'glue' was actually a two sided mounting tape that is VERY sticky, real b*tch to get off. Good chance you'll damage the louvers taking them off if you're not very careful. Likely will have to use a razor of some kind.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
On the Exige, they (Lotus) uses a black silicone glue. I carefully cut it out with a box cutter (razor blade).

You know the rules...photos! -poke-

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've done it on an 05 elise. I had to drillout the plastic screws/rivets. You need a hair dryer/heat gun and lots of of patience. Heat up the double sided tape and work a thin blade in between the louver and the hatch(use a plastic one!!). Just keep sawing and prying until it comes loose. Be careful because there is a raised lip on the hatch, I chipped mine up because I thought it was flush under there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's a real PITA. I second what Silver_Surfer said. And don't get too over zealous trying to remove the double sided tape left over on the deck lid as it can leave some pretty good blisters; ask me how I know...

I will end up getting my deck lid repainted due to the little scratches from sawing through the tape. It all works out because I wanted to fill in the leftover holes, anyways!

May patience be with you.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful!

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I'm really happy that I prefer the stock look. But I seem to be in the minority.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Where do they sell these? Are there any after market ones? A hail storm killed mine.
I have a new set of these that I never got around to putting on. PM me if your interested.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I'm in the process of putting mesh in my hatch. I've removed the louvers(2nd time now) and filled the holes in the hatch and will silicone in the mesh as clean as possible on the underside. I got my mesh from Chuck Risen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts