The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering installing the Elise USA mesh in my 05 Elise deck lid.

In looking at how the louvers are mounted, it looks like rivets on the back end, with plastic prongs on the sides of the louvers extending into holes in the deck lids.

I looked at how the louvers in an 06 are mounted when the cars were parked side by side. The 06 had screws where the 06 had rivets, and there were some other differences.

Bottom line is that the 05 louvers appeared to be glued in, and as such would be tough to get out without perhaps damaging the lid, or at least causing the need to respray.

Anybody get their louvers out of an 05 lid, and can give me some tips before I dive in and screw something up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
IIRC you have to break the 'prongs' to get them out on an 05

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did mine today, replaced with CustomCarGrills mesh.

cut the plastic prongs off with a wire-cutter and push them out from the inside. Then use a hairdryer to heat the louvers...they are stuck on with double-sided tape. Pull the louvers off...I broke all of them.
Then use some rubbing alcohol/brakeclean/magicfluid to take off the doublesidedtapeglue....this sucked the most and took the most time.

Be good,
TomK

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
No need to break the prongs, just bend the louver and pop them out. I have the EliseUSA boot lid grills, and their new radiator grills are at the powder coater...should have those next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No need to break the prongs, just bend the louver and pop them out. I have the EliseUSA boot lid grills, and their new radiator grills are at the powder coater...should have those next week.
Good Luck Dave. Jim's been telling me my grills are at the powder coater for about 6 weeks now... and should be in 'next week.'

Also, don't think they pop right out. It looks like the forward edges are either glued or use hi strength double sided tape.
Right.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Good Luck Dave. Jim's been telling me my grills are at the powder coater for about 6 weeks now... and should be in 'next week.'

Right.
So...why are you 'pondering' installing them in the first place?? Do you have them on order? He delivered my boot grills when promised, no reason for me to believe otherwise on the radiator ones. :shrug: Cut if you like, I heated the grill with a heat gun, pulled up, and they do pop out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts