The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put this in this forum because more than likely, if you are doing some extreme FI upgrades you will need to change your fuel pump. Also your car is probably in pieces. Here are some pics of how to remove the fuel pump housing if you already have your car torn up. A friend (Dustin) and I are in the final stages a prototype project on the car. Because we would max out the fuel pump, we decided to change it before we put the car back together. Thank you to everyone who did post the procedure of doing this removal from behind the driver’s seat. Also thanks to Dustin for helping as always. Here are the pics that I believe no one has posted yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Nice pictures. How did you enjoy the pump removal?

Did it pop right out or did you have to fight with it?

I installed a 255 Walbro in the same manner. Wasn't much fun.

Have you run the car yet? I can really hear the pump now.

It's starting to annoy me. I wonder if any one else noticed an increase with pump whine after upgrade.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Phil's surge tank will eliminate the need for doing this right?

·
Registered
99 Posts

It's starting to annoy me. I wonder if any one else noticed an increase with pump whine after upgrade.
I had the Walbro 255 in my last car and you can hear the whine from outside the car. It gets louder with time too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oh we had to fight with the housing. The pump came out easy once we removed the entire assembly. Stupid clips were a pain. Dustin and I were bothing screaming at the dam thing. Well more Dustin digging at it. Just another little bit of info. The stuipid rebreather line back into the gas tank from the char canistor. That line has a double clamp. The second part of the clamp was very difficult to see.

·
Registered
438 Posts

If you use one of the wiring kits it will make less noise, the noise is caused by not enough power/ground usualy because most people run them on the stock wiring. the best way to do it is a relay kit with a direct line to your battery. I am going to throw in the walbro tonight and it should be good to go.

This thing was certainly the worst one i have had to work on doing an intank pump, even the outer ring wouldnt come off the damn thing, and the evap line has a clip holding it on which was a PITA too.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you are fortunate the pump module came out. On mine, the fit of the pump module was so tight in the hole for the tank I ended up destroying it removing it. Fortuately, the Celica part is the same and a used module was relatively cheap.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
hrmm.. I think the 06s are easier.. I just pulled one out of an 06 this past weekend.. took 30min.. it just came out very easy.. the ring didn't but that wasn't a big deall..

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Once I unscrew the 7-8 screws around the top of that metal ring, how do I get the module out? Does the metal ring seperate from the plastic? Also the electronic plugs on the top do they also release from the white plastic?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
David-

The electrical plug comes right off just as by depressing the release tab. The tab is a bit hard to see, but it's there...

Most of te 06 cars modules come right out. It's the 05s that seem to be the big problem... Although, knowing Lotus, there's probably some mixing and matching of the old and new tanks between the years-- whatever they had on the shelf sort of thing;)

The metal ring is not attached to the plastic. it will come right off once the nuts are removed and the module is lifted high enough for the ring to clear the studs...

Good luck,
Phil

1 - 20 of 37 Posts