The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know -- the stupid yellow warning stickers that the feds seem to think will actually convince someone to buckle up if they don't already.

Did this on my MR2, and now my Elise. The Elise is actually easier.

The stickers are thick plastic, held on by tons of sticky goo. But they come off pretty easily, especially if the car is warm. Just start at one corner, and pull back SLOWLY. You may want to wear gloves -- the sticky goo LOVES your fingers.

Once the sticker is off, use some Goof Off (NOT Goo Gone) to get rid of the residue. I used it on some Scott disposable shop towels (very thick paper towels) from Home Depot. I suggest you not use anything that disintigrates too easily (like standard paper towels), cause then the paper sticks to the goo, and it's even harder to get off.

Just soak a piece of the shop towel (or whatever) in the Goof Off, and start rubbing. Move to a clean section OFTEN, soaking the towel with Goof Off each time. Don't use the same spot on the towel for long, or the goo just builds up too much on it.

In a few minutes, your visor will be clean.

When I was done, I applied some Son of a Gun protectant. Normally, I don't like to use that type of stuff, but the visors had just the very slightest tackiness to them when I was done, and I wanted to see if the Son of a Gun would help. It worked like a charm.

Very nice not to have those tacky stickers staring me in the face while I drive.

Having said all that, proceed at your own risk, of course!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I removed those stickers on a VW I used to own. The trouble was that the VW "stickers" were kinda like decals -- they had to be removed using rubbing alcohol. Once removed, the visor had a shiny area where the decal used to be (this was not glue).

To make a long story short -- did you guys notice any difference in the leather after removing the stickers?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I actuallly used wd40 to remove the adhesive, afterwards thoroughly cleaned with lexol cleaner. No affect on the finish, be very careful as you'll stretch the leather a bit.
Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooh -- real leather! I assumed that was vinyl! I didn't notice any difference in finish, but even if I did, a bit of shininess would be a whole lot better than that dman yellow sticker!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts