The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The February 2004 Sports Compact Car magazine write up has the wheel arch reflectors removed. The photo on the first & second pages clearly shows the holes. It looks like one big (.5 x 3") and two small circular holes. I didn't realize what these were until the autoshow photos.

RJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
what im going to do with those reflectors is take it to my mechanic and have him put carbon fiber sticker over it. since im getting a black car this will blend in nicely.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
If enough people want to remove those, talk to this guy:

www.bumperplugs.com

He does plugs and other stuff for Porsches, his work is 1st class...

Roy

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Are they perhaps not only reflectors, but actual side marker lights too?

In that case going to 'stick on' is going to be tricky with the wiring and probably not possible for Lotus to do and still be allowed to sell the car road legal.

Bye, Arno.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Right. To clarify, these are not just reflectors, these are the side lights. Each reflector has 4 LEDs in it.

I know a lot of people are not happy about this, but give it a chance in real life. I think it looks better than the pictures show.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Right. To clarify, these are not just reflectors, these are the side lights. Each reflector has 4 LEDs in it.

I know a lot of people are not happy about this, but give it a chance in real life. I think it looks better than the pictures show.
Why are they lit up? I already see a front side marker on the car on the body panel behind the front tire. Why does it have two lights up front on each side?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I don't know why. I also thought the smaller front reflector was the answer to the federal requirements.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I don't know why. I also thought the smaller front reflector was the answer to the federal requirements.
Well, please make sure you talk to them and tell them to remove them before the car goes into full production. Tell them we think the well lights suck. ;)

Tell them to knock 1k off the MSRP and to have more than 2 standard colors while you are at it. Now EVERYONE is going to have a yellow one. :(

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Actually the reflectors may have some benefits - if (when) I get stopped for speeding, the cop may have such a good laugh when he sees them that he decides to let me go....

I am worried about fitting through toll booths with them on though....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
tidalwdave said:
Why are they lit up? I already see a front side marker on the car on the body panel behind the front tire.
Those are indicator repeaters. Not required on US cars as far as I know, but also not illegal to have them.

These are required in europe though for bicyclists or pedestrians next to you to see the indicator when it's used.

BTW.. One of the pictures shows the start button. It also seems to show that there's only 2 light buttons: side/parking lights and dipped beam. Does this mean there's no rear foglights on the Federal Elise? (The euro Elise has a 3rd button for that and the center rear light clusters are used for the foglight)

On the other hand are rear foglights also not required in the USA as far as I know (odd as it is...)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Arno said:
Those are indicator repeaters. Not required on US cars as far as I know, but also not illegal to have them.

These are required in europe though for bicyclists or pedestrians next to you to see the indicator when it's used.

Bye, Arno.
Something must have gotten lost in the translation. I'm from Los Angeles and I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with the term "bicyclist" or "pedestrian". Are those strange forms of wildlife indigenous to the European continent?

By the way, who uses indicators? :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
By the way, who uses indicators?
Nobody in San Francisco. Nobody uses mirror either. They only indicators used are the front and rear bumpers. On parallel parking, they wait for the bumper hitting sound to determine that it has gone too far.

·
Registered
55 Posts
clear reflectors?

Tpup, I think the bumper plugs would be a good alternative. Another option would be for some aftermarket company to capitalize on the opportunity and manufacture and sell us clear reflectors.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I would keep the reflectors or switch them out with an aftermarket version before using the bumper plugs. While the bumper plugs are color matched they would stick out a bit and be noticable upon close inspection leaving most people to wonder "what is that plug covering" or "what is supposed to be there" I think the plugs would only blend-in if you kept everyone at least 20 feet away :)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Arno said:

On the other hand are rear foglights also not required in the USA as far as I know (odd as it is...)

you are correct, arno. no requirement for rear fog lights in US

1 - 17 of 17 Posts