The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... this must be the third time I have looked at removing it and still can't work out how its done!!

The trim seems to be built around the harness bar. The only way I can possibly think is that you have to remove the speakers. This could then allow a spanner to be passed through the speaker hole to the bolts securing the harness bar. With the bolts removed the bar could slide far enough to one side for it to clear the trim panel and then it could be removed from the car. The trim panel then could then be removed...

It's all speculation......has anyone actually done it?

...and a little picture to aid clarity

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
.... this must be the third time I have looked at removing it and still can't work out how its done!!

The trim seems to be built around the harness bar. The only way I can possibly think is that you have to remove the speakers. This could then allow a spanner to be passed through the speaker hole to the bolts securing the harness bar. With the bolts removed the bar could slide far enough to one side for it to clear the trim panel and then it could be removed from the car. The trim panel then could then be removed...

It's all speculation......has anyone actually done it?

...and a little picture to aid clarity
If you want to remove the back trim panel your going to have to completly remove the harness bar or you won't be able to get it out. This can be done two ways 1) The easiest is to drill out the plastic rivets around the speaker and remove the speaker together with the plastic trim. This will give you the most room to work on removing the bolts for the harness bar. 2) Get a pick and carefully remove the speaker grill and then the four phillips screws and remove the speaker. Doing is tricky because the harness bar comes so close to the speaker that it is a pain to get the grill off with damaging it and also the phillips screws. You will also have a smaller opening to work with to remove the harness bar but you will save the time in trying to source out some plastic rivets to replace the black plastic trim around speaker. Ultimetly its up to you what you do.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's not even the hard part.

Either way you get the speakers out.. replacing the rivets is a pain, and the mesh isn't that hard to remove and replace if you take your time. I use my fingers to get it done.

The hard part is getting to the bolts to remove the harness bar. The bar connects to a T on each end.

(rL spkr)front(rR spkr)
|----------------|
^
bolt

First, you need a deep socket (can't remember the size atm, search for it...or search for my posts, cuz I've posted on this before). And you may need to trim the deep socket to allow clearance of your wrench. And since this is an especially critical piece, it really needs to be torqued back down when you reinstall...and good luck getting a torque wrench in there.

The socket has to get into the speaker hole, and then make a u-turn as the bolt face is exposed from the rear inside the harness bar T. It's a tough move to make.

Personally, I gave up on the task when I thought I needed to remove the rear panel for a project. I just found another way to do my project.

One can only imagine that perhaps lotus has a special socket/adapter making removal of the harness bar easier?

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys

Thanks for this...... the rivets are obtainable through Lotus... they have their own part number.

Glad to hear that others have done this... will just have to take it slowly. Will try the speaker removal approach first and then move on to the housing if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts