The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are plenty of threads on waxing, but how about removing wax?

The grill on the engine cover has a lot of wax on it (from the dealer) and I don't know how to get it off. I tried a dishwashing detergent like palmolive, but it still looks grey in many places.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Removing wax from grained plastic is tough. Try claybar to see if that will work. (I've had very limited results.) The other option is to use something like Mother's Back-to-Black. That hides the wax residue but you'll need to continue to apply it.

Bob

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I'm not sure the clay will do anything, as it's not designed for this purpose.

Try 3M Adhesive, Tar, and Wax remover, which you might be able to find at Walmart. Griots and Stoners also make good wax removers. Might also try white drafter's erasers and even peanut butter oil as a last resort.

If you are successful with a solvent type product, then the surface may look a bit dull afterwards and you might want to dress the surface afterwards. Shouldn't dry out the surface...

Most of these other dressings and oils just hide the stains until they wear off.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Once you get it off, just use a nonstaining, non residue wax such as P21S / S100. No white stuff on the trim along with EZ on/off, good price and best looking wax in the Guru Reports test.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ugh.. sucks that the dealer did that to your black trim.

I have some 'misplaced' Meguiars wax on the black plastic trim on my motorcycle and continue to search for a real fix.

WD40 hides it pretty well, as does any oily surface prep, but it's still there.

Every time I wash it, the white chalky haze comes right back.

If you find something that really truely gets it OFF and doesn't just cover it up, please post. I fear it has somehow etched the black plastic or 'corroded' it in some way.

I had the same thing happen on one of my cars, black plastic near below the windshield wiper. Six years later (!) it still looks like a big water spot.

This wax stuff is evil. Treat it like acid, or better yet, use something that doesn't harm plastic. Zaino hasn't marked anything yet.

My Elise will probably get P21S for the honeymoon months, then Zaino when it sees more miles than suds..

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover is the best thing I have found, you can buy it at Wal Mart. In the future before you wax treat all of the plastic and rubber with a protectant like 303 first and the wax residue will wipe off.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Washing your car with dishwashing detergent (Dawn, etc) is a techinique used to remove wax from paint; I'm not sure how effective this would be on the plastic pieces but expect it'd work fine.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
If this is a big issue with the plastic grills / vents on the car why not paint them? Same color or change it. At least the wax will just wipe right off!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try the 3m product and see how it works as soon as the rain stops. I appreciate all the help here and will let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldn't find the 3M wax and adhesive remover, so I ordered some on the internet. It came in a small steel bottle. I tried applying it with a cloth on some of the wax covered fins on the car. It takes several minutes of rubbing and you wind up using up a lot of the product for a very small area.

The best way to deal with the wax/black plastic problem is just do everything possible to avoid getting any on the plastic in the first place. Removing it is rough work, but the product helps a lot

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just got my car yesterday :) and have the same problem with the trim -- all over. Probably the poorest job of prepping I've ever seen. In defense of my dealer (MAG), this was not done by them, but Lotus USA. Compound spattered all over the place, with loads in the edges/seams/plastic.

Is it just me, or do the vents on the engine cover seem to be made of a different plastic than the side grills/etc? I've got the 3M stuff, but I'm going to try the Griot's Paint Prep first. The 3M stuff looks pretty harsh, and I had a bad experience with Lotus black trim -- very susceptable to discoloration.

I'll let you guys know how the Griot's stuff works once I get it delivered.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Goose - I guess that MAG did not offer to remove the wax? Are you satisfied with that? I don't think I'll be a happy camper if my car comes in like that. Did they suggest you fix it yourself?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hey Craig,

Sorry, I should have pointed this out in the first place -- I told MAG not to detail the car. I realize this is a big omission from my description. :eek:

Having worked as a detailer, I wanted to prep the paint the way I like. I'm sure MAG would have done a fine job.

Be careful that whoever preps your car doesn't get too "agressive". We all know that the paint/clear on this car isn't the most durable nor is it that thick. The result is that if somebody buffs off too much in the beginning, it doesn't leave you with much to work with later.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I asked Desert Euro to please not wax the car, though I'm sure they're good at it, just because I'd end up stripping it off for Zaino anyway, and removing wax from the cracks takes hours.

They honored my request, and apparently didn't do more than clean the car.

The buffer marks I have are too brusque and deep to be a detailer's work -- probably factory.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Joetz said:
I'll try the 3m product and see how it works as soon as the rain stops. I appreciate all the help here and will let everyone know how it works out.
Plexus Plastic Cleaner comes in an aerosal. Just spray and wipe to thoroughly clean and polish plastic. Be careful to not get it on glass. It doesn't damage glass but is a pain in the butt to get off. Only thing I found to do it was
Lysol All Purpose Cleaner. Never tried the Lysol on plastic but it might be worth a try as well. If it takes off the 'hard to get off' Plexus from glass, it might just do a good job on your 'waxed' plastic.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think I've solved my problem regarding the plastic cleanup. Although my problem was with polishing compound dried on the plastic, I figured this may work for dried wax also.

Meguiar's vinyl/rubber cleaner/conditioner (#40) took the crud off with no problems. I just sprayed some on a small terry cloth towel and lightly scrubbed.

Hope this helps...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts