The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to a ridiculous Texas Law, I need to remove the window tint on my Exige. I did a search on here and also Google but wanted to get some opinions.

The thought of using chemicals makes me a bit nervous, and the same goes for using razorblades. Has anybody tried the steamer method? Is it really as simple as everyone is making it out to be?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,945 Posts
I have done the razor way and it's a pain in the butt.

When I had our tint guy at porsche retint my old car, he had all the tint off of the car within 10 minutes with the steamer. I would say the steamer is the way to go.

How dark is your tint? I had 15% for a year living there and never got pulled over for it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done the razor way and it's a pain in the butt.

When I had our tint guy at porsche retint my old car, he had all the tint off of the car within 10 minutes with the steamer. I would say the steamer is the way to go.

How dark is your tint? I had 15% for a year living there and never got pulled over for it.
I also have 15%. I've never been pulled over for it, but the stupid inspection station has tagged me for it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats why you just find a friend that does inspections! :D
Easier said than done. For how many people I've met in Texas that "know a guy" or "have a hook up", none of them seem to be able to follow through. Registering this car has been an absolute nightmare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had to remove mine as well, and used a handheld steam cleaner. It heated up the glue so I was able to peel the tint right off. One side window and the rear windows came off in pretty much one big sheet. The other side window tore in two. I just had a little bit of splotchy glue to clean up on the window every here and there. Definitely the way to do it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going to try to steam cleaner method. I'll let all of you know how it goes. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts