The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a copy of the 1976 French film 'Rendezvous'. All 9 minutes of it. If you haven't heard of the legends behind this film, check it out on Google. Anyway, the film lives up to it's reputation. It is very exciting to watch and simply unbelievable that this was done without any stuntmen, closed off roads or authorization from the police.

Give it a watch sometime if you get the chance.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need4Speed said:
It's mighty fine on a big screen tv.
Indeed. Watched the DVD last night on my 61" TV. Awesome!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thanks for the plug! I have seen this over 1000 times and it's still fascinating.

Now I need to sell about 2500 more DVDs to pay for the Elise. Tell your friends! Tell other forums! Buy DVDs for your relatives and coworkers! :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I recently got my copy and it plays during my get togethers and parties. The look on peoples face is priceless; especially when he starts down Champs Elysee and runs red light after another. Many don't believe me when I explain the background.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
Babak, I do the same thing. Some how, that video never gets boring.
My favorite part is the look on peoples faces. Specially ladies in attendence (who are sadly unlike MW, 1FM and my girlfriend who calls the clip "inspiring.") with this apalled look on their face. Hands on cheecks, mouth hanging open; partially at the audacity of the movie and partially at the rest of us leering and hooting at the TV.

DVD player 100 dollars
Rendezvous DVD from chasecam 28.95
Look on your friends faces realising this is not a fake, priceless.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good girly there.

Although I even nod my head in disapproval. It's very very bad and I do not believe that it is responsible behavior on the street. The driver was very fortunate that no one was hurt.

It's still freakin' cool to watch though.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My first reaction upon seeing it for the first time was:

"This reminds me of high school."

Thinking back I nod disapprovingly...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Watched it for the first time in a couple of months over the weekend. He did get in trouble with the law for it. No one or thing got hurt. That it's real is what make it so intresting. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:

Although I even nod my head in disapproval. It's very very bad and I do not believe that it is responsible behavior on the street. The driver was very fortunate that no one was hurt.
It's guilty pleasure no question about it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Thanks for the plug!
All commissions can be routed via PayPal...

Randy Chase said:
I have seen this over 1000 times and it's still fascinating.
Now if only someone could develop a sports exhaust to equal the engine note on that car! Not holding my breath though.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I just watched Rendezvous for the first time.

The car sounds great (though in some spots it sounded 'stepped', like a synth - but I guess not since it's 1970 something). It started out kinda tame (long straights) then started getting more insane as time went on. Flying through the back streets toward the end was the most intense. He really builds up the tension. Then - the ending; I love it.

:up: :up:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
MickOpalak said:
Indeed. Watched the DVD last night on my 61" TV. Awesome!
Ditto! Great film to watch on the big screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Just orderd it from the above link. Can't wait to get it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
It's worth every penny. I loaned it to my brother to show to my two year old niece (well, and for him to watch too). She hasn't taken much of an interest to the car books I've bought her, but she loves the Rendezvous video!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Has it ever been proven that he actually did this at full speed?

I'll probably get flamed for this but here it goes anyway...
I have had this video for years and was a believer, always balked at the nay-sayers.
But recently, the more I watch it, the less I think it is entirely real. While I do believe he went through in one take, non stop (which is still dangerous), I don't think he is going as fast as we are led to believe by the sound. I got thinking about this after watching a video of a rally car with the camera mounted in a very similar position on a very tight and twisty road (speeds lower than 100mph) and it looked much, much faster.

A Camera with a wide angle lens and mounted low as it is on the car will exaggerate the sense of speed, so he would not really have to go that fast to make it feel like he is to the viewer. Even then, it does not look that fast to me.
There is points where he is flat out in 5th (100+mph at least) and he is passing cars that are traveling maybe 30mph, and yet they go by slowly. Wound out in those gears, he should be passing them like they are parked and they would be a blur IMO. He approaches stopped traffic at some of the lights, engine winding out downshifting and braking hard, and again it does not seem like he is coming upon them very fast. There was no pucker factor. Additionally, the lines in the road should be so blurred that they become solid, they don't

IMO he is going like 50mph and the sound is dubbed, maybe I'm wrong, but worth discussing ( I want to be a believer again ;) )

I still enjoy it though

Flame away :sheep:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The video is 100% real. The placement of the camera's point of view definitely enhances the sense of speed, a "trick" I have used a lot and pretty much started out ChaseCam based on that. :)

I have no doubt that the audio was manipulated to also enhance the sense of speed.

In the end, after having watched this thousands of times, you do notice some things. Signals that were given for example. Color signs.

IMO, these things do not detract from the film. It is an important film for its time and has spawned imitation. He did drive the Ferarri at a good clip. He did blow through a lot of redlights. He did go out from the Louvre (where it was blind and the spotter's radio failed). He did some nutty stuff like go up on the sidewalk (I love the dog's reaction). Like going the wrong way on some streets.

The driving on the damp cobblestones using 70's era tires is impressive, specially when he heads uphill towards his final destination out of the darker residential area.

Regardless of speed or accuracy of sound, it is an impressive "one shot" take that is steeped in myth and mystery. It manages to always draw a large crowd at trade shows when I used it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts