The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All!
Just heard from Scott of Renegrade Hybrids.

Renegade Hybrids

They are the ones that did the G-body Esprit LS V8 conversion a while ago and since last year, have been talking to them about specs and pricing for a kit that the Esprit community can use to convert an Esprit to an LS V8 or a kit to do the Porsche Boxter S transaxle conversion that they use in their conversions.

Sadly, things were delayed due to a tragic accident last year, where they lost one of their own, but now they have pricing and info for those who prefer to do the conversions on their own. As always, they are still offering full conversions at their facilities in Las Vegas. Be sure to check out that Esprit LS V8 youtube link below as well.

Here's is the announcement and pricing, as well as contact info, that I received from him below:

Renegade LS-V8 Lotus!

Thank you for your interest in our new Lotus Esprit LS-V8 conversion kit. As of Spring 2017, we completed the engineering, construction, testing, and the first small production run of Lotus Esprit conversion kits. The test car you saw in the video used our production parts with obvious success. We are so pleased with the outcome to say the least!

Then came a very unfortunate and tragic delay...

The development team at Renegade Hybrids has consisted of a pool of engineers in Vegas at the shop, as well as two brilliant engineers/machinists/fabricator/consultants that have been contributors to our 30+ years of success from the beginning. Shortly after the first Lotus production parts were completed, we lost one of extended family in a tragic accident. It took us a 'second' to find our collective way back to this project with good reason. Thank you for your patience and your hundreds of emails.

Now, let's have some fun!

Here are all the parts we offer:

$3895 - Adapter Kit (Flywheel, Clutch Disc, Pressure Plate and Hardware)

- Rear Custom Lotus to Boxster S six speed Transmission Mount

- Front Custom Engine Mount uprights and rubber isolators

***REQUIRES*** Bolt-on outboard brake system from later Esprit

$995 - Custom Axle Kit

$995 - Electric Water Pump Kit

This kit requires the six speed Porsche Boxster S transaxle, shifter and stock cables, and may require an outboard brake conversion kit. The Boxster six speeds are readily available for roughly $2000 on Ebay or through your local salvage yards, and outboard conversion kits can be sourced for as little as $1200.

We use a front accessory kit to put the AC and Alternator up high from Dirty Dingo Motorsports GM LS Gen 3 LS1 Gen 4 Conversion Swap Engine Mounts and Accessory Brackets who specialize in front belt-drive serpentine systems. Some modifications will be necessary to make it shallow enough to clear the Lotus fire-wall.

If a reliable Lotus Esprit with loads of cheap power is in your dreams, let a Renegade conversion kit wake you up to reality:

Thank you for your continued interest, your patience, and your persistence. It's time to for Renegade to go British!

Sincerely,
Scott >>> Renegade Hybrids
Renegade Hybrids
702-739-8011

·
Integrator
2,934 Posts
Got the same email from Scott at Renegade. I'm glad that they have finalized Esprit Conversion Kit development.

Very exciting and price seems to be quite reasonable!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this the same thing as mentioned in the UN1 replacement thread?
Sounds like it might be, but Renegade at the moment is only offering to do the transmission kit together with the LS swap, not separately. I wonder if that would change if there is more interest.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oh - no, the UN 1 thread is about adapting the boxster trans to the stock lotus block. I think Renegade had a system to mount the Box trans to the LS for a long time. I think that is a popular kit car swap.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400, manual
352 Posts
Hi All!
Just heard from Scott of Renegrade Hybrids.

Renegade Hybrids

They are the ones that did the G-body Esprit LS V8 conversion a while ago and since last year, have been talking to them about specs and pricing for a kit that the Esprit community can use to convert an Esprit to an LS V8 or a kit to do the Porsche Boxter S transaxle conversion that they use in their conversions.

Sadly, things were delayed due to a tragic accident last year, where they lost one of their own, but now they have pricing and info for those who prefer to do the conversions on their own. As always, they are still offering full conversions at their facilities in Las Vegas. Be sure to check out that Esprit LS V8 youtube link below as well.

Here's is the announcement and pricing, as well as contact info, that I received from him below:

Renegade LS-V8 Lotus!

Thank you for your interest in our new Lotus Esprit LS-V8 conversion kit. As of Spring 2017, we completed the engineering, construction, testing, and the first small production run of Lotus Esprit conversion kits. The test car you saw in the video used our production parts with obvious success. We are so pleased with the outcome to say the least!

Then came a very unfortunate and tragic delay...

The development team at Renegade Hybrids has consisted of a pool of engineers in Vegas at the shop, as well as two brilliant engineers/machinists/fabricator/consultants that have been contributors to our 30+ years of success from the beginning. Shortly after the first Lotus production parts were completed, we lost one of extended family in a tragic accident. It took us a 'second' to find our collective way back to this project with good reason. Thank you for your patience and your hundreds of emails.

Now, let's have some fun!

Here are all the parts we offer:

$3895 - Adapter Kit (Flywheel, Clutch Disc, Pressure Plate and Hardware)

- Rear Custom Lotus to Boxster S six speed Transmission Mount

- Front Custom Engine Mount uprights and rubber isolators

REQUIRES Bolt-on outboard brake system from later Esprit

$995 - Custom Axle Kit

$995 - Electric Water Pump Kit

This kit requires the six speed Porsche Boxster S transaxle, shifter and stock cables, and may require an outboard brake conversion kit. The Boxster six speeds are readily available for roughly $2000 on Ebay or through your local salvage yards, and outboard conversion kits can be sourced for as little as $1200.

We use a front accessory kit to put the AC and Alternator up high from Dirty Dingo Motorsports GM LS Gen 3 LS1 Gen 4 Conversion Swap Engine Mounts and Accessory Brackets who specialize in front belt-drive serpentine systems. Some modifications will be necessary to make it shallow enough to clear the Lotus fire-wall.

If a reliable Lotus Esprit with loads of cheap power is in your dreams, let a Renegade conversion kit wake you up to reality:

Thank you for your continued interest, your patience, and your persistence. It's time to for Renegade to go British!

Sincerely,
Scott >>> Renegade Hybrids
Renegade Hybrids
702-739-8011

·
Registered
352 Posts
Old post resurection;
Anyone here do the Renegade or other swap? Is this taboo in lotus circles as it would be in others?
Always loved Esprits but have never driven one. Just curious...

·
Registered
703 Posts
IMO if you drive a car with this swap, you have not driven an Esprit.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
That sounds right to me.

Personally I'd prefer to keep my torquey stump-pulling NA OHV 6.2L 430 BHP LS3 engine in my C6 Corvette.

And my free-revving high end surging turbo DOHC 3.5L 350 BHP Lotus 918 in my Esprit V8.

They are two very different driving experiences, and both are superb.

With that said I really don't have a problem with the LS3 Esprit, I'm sure it's a pretty special machine to drive in it's own right.

The LS3 is a sweet relatively light weight all-aluminum power unit that reportedly has some lineage, or at least lessons-learned, incorporated from Chevy's experience with the Lotus-designed LT5 engine in the C4 ZR1. For some fuel economy icing piled on the performance cake, it gets 30+ mpg on the highway in a Corvette.

And there is a very appropriate precedent. Back in the day a Lotus Europa, more specifically a Type 47, was equipped with a Rover V8. Which in reality was a version of the all-aluminum Buick 215ci V8 manufactured under license. Built by Lotus for the GKN industrial company. It's a beautiful and I'm sure incredible machine to drive, but quite different from a "regular" Europa. No doubt that could have been a popular model, at least for the well-heeled, if it had been put into production 🥰.

Edit: just FYI some background on the GKN 47D:
...and the "Rover" V8. A friend of mine replaced the stock I4 with a Buick 215 V8 in his Cosworth Vega. It completely transformed the car...in a very good way. I used to enjoy driving it.

Reactions: Midenginer

·
Registered
352 Posts
I haven't driven, just an admirer. I've heard that they were under powered until the V8 and the clutch a necessary compromise at the time so was just wondering what those that have driven thought of the idea.
When I was a kid the early Esprit were a shock because what they achieved with a small engine.
If I had the means and opportunity I wouldn't do it to a V8 unless the engine was beyond repair. The Renegade video is pretty cool though IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
756 Posts
I haven't driven, just an admirer. I've heard that they were under powered until the V8 and the clutch a necessary compromise at the time so was just wondering what those that have driven thought of the idea.
A 4 cylinder turbo, 910 engine, is hardly "under powered." How much power do you want? A good tune up and some S4s code in the ECU on a Stevens SE Esprit will make it run with about anything out there. But, if you want a LS powered Esprit, go for it. They used to come up on ebay fairly regularly, but not as clean a job as the kit in this thread would do.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Big fan of what the renegade folks do. This LS3 conversion looks like a very nicely engineered engine swap providing a lot more horsepower over the 4 cylinder.

The esprit was designed right from the start in anticipation of a V8. There's lots of room in the engine bay for small block chevy or ford. I'm just completing my conversion to a small block ford (347) with audi transaxle. I was frustrated with the modest power of the 4 cylinder, and the weak citroen transmission. The esprit can handle a lot more.

I can attest to the enormous amount of time involved to properly engineer an engine swap like this. The renegade pricing looks very reasonable. I say go for it if you want more power in your esprit. These 80's esprits aren't vintage ferraris....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Big fan of what the renegade folks do. This LS3 conversion looks like a very nicely engineered engine swap providing a lot more horsepower over the 4 cylinder.

The esprit was designed right from the start in anticipation of a V8. There's lots of room in the engine bay for small block chevy or ford. I'm just completing my conversion to a small block ford (347) with audi transaxle. I was frustrated with the modest power of the 4 cylinder, and the weak citroen transmission. The esprit can handle a lot more.

I can attest to the enormous amount of time involved to properly engineer an engine swap like this. The renegade pricing looks very reasonable. I say go for it if you want more power in your esprit. These 80's esprits aren't vintage ferraris....
Thanks for the varied candid replies, I don't have one but I did breifly toy with this idea before I bought my Evora 400. No plans to change or add to my garage I was more curious what others thought. Still be great to hear from someone who's used the Renegade kit or had them do it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
"These 80's esprits aren't vintage ferraris...."

Just for fun, a quick comparo:

1989 Ferrari 328 GTB
3.2 L V8 engine: 270 BHP
0-60 mph: 5.5 sec
Top speed: 163 mph

1989 Lotus Esprit
2.2 L I4 engine - type 910s: 264 BHP (280 BHP on transient overboost)
0–60 mph: 4.7 sec
Top speed: >160 mph

As with HP, the overall performance numbers don't tell the real story for a passionate enthusiast. But from an objective standpoint a vintage Esprit is certainly no slouch, especially in relation to its exotic contemporaries... 🥰

Reactions: rancor

·
Registered
1985 Turbo Esprit with HCI mods & intercooler
25 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I'm ramping toward a DIY Renegade LS3 480 conversion in a 1985 G owned since new and long in "storage." This should be a nice project with my son-in-law to pull the wrenches. In the late '80s I modified the car with an HCI bottom end, air-to-air intercooler, water injection, and 16-18psi boost.

I've had several conversations with Scott at Renegade and am currently in process of converting from inboard to outboard brakes with a used X180/Stevens rear end. In addition to the basic kit, Scott will provide a rebuild Porsche S686 trannie and a custom shift linkage. I'll post more details as the project unfolds.

·
Registered
1985 Turbo Esprit with HCI mods & intercooler
25 Posts
I acquired a Stevens rear suspension for the conversion and placed an order with Renegade for the LS3 kit and a Porsche transaxle to be rebuilt by Renegade or its pro subcontractor. Lead time is around eight weeks. There are some ambiguities regarding the custom driveshafts, but one way or another I'll find a way.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
756 Posts
There's a company in Florida that will make a CV axle for you any length you want.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts