The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I notice you have the shafts for a 1988 Esprit, I am after a pair just like those with complete CV joints, the whole shafts end to end, one of mine snapped and the other is twisted. Any chance you could message me when I have been verified please? Kind regards Bujo007

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi , I am not sure if you are selling all the bits you posted, can you let me know if the shafts in particular are for sale pleas? If not maybe you know where I can get a pair, hoping you can help me kind regards Bujo007

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also I wanted to ask if you know how to contact renegade the LS V8 transplant people, I am REALYY interested in speaking with them, I love ,my lotus and would love to find out about the Porsche gearbox option they have mentioned and where to have it done in Australia, or even where to buy the kit etc. :) thank you again for replying to me cheers Bujo007

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
Also I wanted to ask if you know how to contact renegade the LS V8 transplant people, I am REALYY interested in speaking with them, I love ,my lotus and would love to find out about the Porsche gearbox option they have mentioned and where to have it done in Australia, or even where to buy the kit etc. :) thank you again for replying to me cheers Bujo007
Renegade Hybrids Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

FYI as per your original thread, I suspect your car does not use 88 Esprit drive shafts - the pictures don't show the inboard rear brakes.
You might have 89 onward drives shafts.

Please post more pictures of your transmission to confirm.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
She is an 88 but she has body kit and spoilers etc, bit confusing really, please see photo of whole car as well. cheers Bujo007

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
I suggest you send your axles off and get them rebuilt. I have used Constant Velocity of Ocala (Florida). They can take what you have and replace the broken shafts, rebuild or replace the actual joints, etc. And, obviously, you need stronger than what it came with.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As someone who built an LS1 RX7, the end product from a performance perspective is better in every way which is why I built it.
Except that it completely changes the character of the car/driving experience, and a Esprit with an LS still isn't a "fast" car.

So if you wanted better performance you'd buy a different car completely, and if you want an Esprit, putting an LS in it will diminish the car's charm. So it seems like a weird value proposition, same as the LS swapped Porsches.

·
Registered
1985 Turbo Esprit with HCI mods & intercooler
25 Posts
Hello @Bujo007, very nice car. For the moment I need to keep the '89 driveshafts in order to use the splined end as a model for fabrications. Travis at Renegade implied that they can make new driveshafts end-to-end, but so far details are scant. Once this ambiguity has been resolved, I am willing to part with the originals.

I'm almost finished with the tear-down of the '85. I am starting the rebuild with Boyd Welding aluminum fuel tanks and an in-tank Holley fuel pump with Hydromat to prevent starvation. The LS3 will probably get a Holley ECU and digital dash, and MSD solid state relays to run ancillary circuits. I'm at [email protected] USA ET.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As someone who built an LS1 RX7, the end product from a performance perspective is better in every way which is why I built it.
Except that it completely changes the character of the car/driving experience, and a Esprit with an LS still isn't a "fast" car.

So if you wanted better performance you'd buy a different car completely, and if you want an Esprit, putting an LS in it will diminish the car's charm. So it seems like a weird value proposition, same as the LS swapped Porsches.
Thank you LS1RX7 I bought the car already converted to a LS 1 and I’m pretty sure that the gearbox is original so the only difference was they put an 8” semi brass button kombi clutch In to do the job so that’s a weak point and that’s why I was looking at maybe finding out about the other alternative for a different gearbox and what’s possible there because that is a real weak link and the drive shafts as well obviously because it broke one and twisted the other (to be honest I don’t think the motor is totally standard it’s way to angry and responsive) I was hoping to find someone in Australia that could rebuild the drive shafts and CV joints rather than send them overseas As that would be a bit easier so I’m still looking, thank you for your wisdom in this area, I wanted to mention that mine is a pretty fast car, maybe not to today’s standards of fast but it is a beast and real handful lol, she breaks traction in 3rd gear under power which is astounding really. It’s really challenging to have no power steering, no traction control, no ABS, I mean you are on your own with this thing, no frills 😂

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The axles wont fit the new gearbox so might want to do both at the same time? If you go back with same axles, consider leaving as the weak link/fuse. Might save the gear box?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello @Bujo007, very nice car. For the moment I need to keep the '89 driveshafts in order to use the splined end as a model for fabrications. Travis at Renegade implied that they can make new driveshafts end-to-end, but so far details are scant. Once this ambiguity has been resolved, I am willing to part with the originals.

I'm almost finished with the tear-down of the '85. I am starting the rebuild with Boyd Welding aluminum fuel tanks and an in-tank Holley fuel pump with Hydromat to prevent starvation. The LS3 will probably get a Holley ECU and digital dash, and MSD solid state relays to run ancillary circuits. I'm at [email protected] USA ET.
Wow Scaldcat, that’s what my Lotus goes like, a scalded cat haha, can you read my response to LS1RX7? If so please check where I explain about how my beast of a thing goes. You sound like you are doing some serious conversions, if and when your shafts becomes available I would be very interested in getting them, the only thing of course is that the splines are the same, but they look identical to mine. Cheers :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The axles wont fit the new gearbox so might want to do both at the same time? If you go back with same axles, consider leaving as the weak link/fuse. Might save the gear box?
Yes thank you Erik L, I agree totally, I just wanted to get her back on the road ASAP and then look at gearbox, clutch and drive shaft options once she is running again, when one drive shaft broke I saw it on the road in the rear view vision mirror haha so funny. She is a nasty piece of work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suggest you send your axles off and get them rebuilt. I have used Constant Velocity of Ocala (Florida). They can take what you have and replace the broken shafts, rebuild or replace the actual joints, etc. And, obviously, you need stronger than what it came with.
Thank you Dr Hess, I will try to contact Constant Velocity of Ocala as suggested, really appreciate everyone’s input and your suggestion cheers thank you :)

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
Didn't notice you were in Oz. Shipping to Florida and back might be rather expensive. Surely there's someone local that can do it.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
These guys could do it. Unfortunately they're not in OZ. LOL 🤯

·
Registered
24 Posts
These guys could do it. Unfortunately they're not in OZ. LOL 🤯

Hi 71type65,
Hahahah have block and tackle? Can do anything, I wonder if they have a sister company in Sydney I could get my buttered chicken and repair done in a heartbeat heh heh. I am not giving up, there must be someone in Sydney that could do the gearbox kit for me if I Putchase it from renegade cheers and thank you for the video - I will study and
Learn something lol

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
You might try some of the Oz specific car forums, especially kit cars, home builts, etc. and ask them who they are using for axles and CV joints.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might try some of the Oz specific car forums, especially kit cars, home builts, etc. and ask them who they are using for axles and CV joints.
Hi Dr. Hess, Thank you for your suggestion, does renegade still do the conversions in the states do you think? They might know where I could get it done possibly, cheers Bujo007

41 - 60 of 85 Posts