The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

I hope this beautiful spring weather is treating you all well and that you are able to get out and enjoy it! We at T.E.A.M. Racing have an event at Reno-Fernley Raceway on Memorial Day weekend, May 24-25. Talk about a perfect time of year to go play on the 4.1 mile track! The top is a lot like a huge autocross, while the bottom is a huge horsepower festival. Sign up for both days and you will wind up with nearly five hours of track time!!! Cost is $225 for one day, $400 for the whole weekend. As usual, the fee includes a supply of bottled water and Gatorade, healthy snacks, catered lunches, and expert instruction. The registration form is at www.onemain.com/~bonster/rfr.pdf If you have any problems accessing the form, simply email or PM me and I will send you over a copy of the form.

It may be a bit of a drive for some, but TRUST ME – it will be worth the drive! :) Let’s welcome this wonderful weather and reward ourselves to an outstanding weekend at the track!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ran with T.E.A.M. Racing last week, 6 session at Thunderhill. Great group and had a chance to catch a ride with a very quick Ferrari 430 driver.

Only ran Reno-Fernely once (old configuration) would like to make it but have a autocross (that I chair) the following week... so it'll be family time Memorial weekend. Hope some of the other Lotus gang makes it out.

Bonni- Congrats on the upcoming move.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
LOL- Bonni your going to put me to work. Let me know which one section you'd like to keep it and I'll clean up the rest.

·
Registered
494 Posts
RFR is definitely worth the drive (which, from NorCal, really isn't any farther than Buttonwillow)! It's a challenge no matter what you drive!

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sorry about that, Larry. I just honestly didn't know where it was best to post. I will leave it up to you to delete whichever threads you think are wrong. I guess the lesson I have learned is to only post in the Track and Technique section. Thanks!

I am also a moderator (Rennlist) . . . so I know what you mean. Again, I am sorry, and it will never happen again. And thanks Larry, for the congrats, and for being kind in your warnings to me about cross-posting. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have to agree that the track is fun. I was just there for the first time this week with the GT-R media event. Unfortunately we only used a small portion of the track but even that was fun. Definitely bumpy but fun none the less.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you used the "horsepower" track, Rat. The bottom area with 15 turns? Well, I guess technically it's 12 turns now that they broke the front esses into 1A, 1B, 1C. Turn 2 used to be called turn 5. Totally messed with my head as an instructor last year. Lol. ;)

We will be running the top section as well. I still have not had much of a chance to get that part dialed-in. I was at the very first NASA race with the old 1.6 mile track, and later when they expanded that into I believe a 2.3 mile track. So I've got the bottom down to a science . . . just gotta work on the top. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. :D

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I've done just the bottom and the bottom and top with several configurations.
My favorites are the hillclimb, the "toilet bowl" turn and the high speed esses at the bottom.
My least favorite part is the top back portion that goes back and forth. Bumpy and boring.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am planning on doing this with my nephew in the Noble and Elise.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My least favorite part is the top back portion that goes back and forth. Bumpy and boring.
I think the only bumpy portion there is the braking zone on the bake straight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woah . . . a Noble?!? Woohoo!!! I'll make sure and bring the camera. I don't recall seeing a Noble "in person" yet.

Don't let that lady with the blonde hair hear you call it the "toilet bowl", lol. We were saying that last year and she got all huffy about it. So we kept using the term when we needed a good laugh. We figured, we paid for the track, we can call it whatever we want to. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are correct, Mike. It's a little bumpy coming into the turn just before the toilet bowl (lol), but that's really easy to avoid without jeopardizing safety or entry speed, especially in an Elise. I hope they've fixed that back straight . . . it gets me real loose trying to brake on the line back there. Somebody told me it's not as bad as last year. We'll have fun either way. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
That Noble does pretty well at RFR :)

For the GT-R media stuff, from the video it appeared they used a very modified configuration; on the front straight you turned in halfway and went "up" the hill at the "Slide corner", turned left and used that straight to get back to the juncture when you can head into the bowl curve and back around (you have to look at the satellite view of the track for my description to make sense, I'm afraid).

We will be racing the SCCA event in June on the original "horsepower" layout, I understand.

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The May event with Track Masters? I was there instructing both days. Had my first ever student (in a 1972 Pantera with no mods on street tires) spin and go off track in the downhill slide. He was so embarrassed. I kept telling him to brake on the approach, but I guess he did not react quickly enough. He cut in BEFORE the apex and around we went. I tried so hard not to laugh, but I could not help it. I then recall saying, "I told you to slow down." He turned three shades of red on the spot. :D He did a great job the rest of the day, too. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
That Noble does pretty well at RFR :)
Unfortunately, it needs a much better driver as I'm embarrassingly slow. I had one of the local Reno track instructors (with something like 1,000+ R-F laps experience) drive the Noble for a session recently and that was a real thrill ride with the car getting loose all over the place.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts